Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss Lit-net?

Blog Entries

Do you miss Lit-net?

It's still here, of course. I mean the old Lit-net. Litnet with so many people, but a lot of them are here still... I feel positive about the future, for Lit-net... always seemed a good community and still seems vibrant...

A lot I guess is based on the literature... and I love still American, Russian, German literature, all kinds...

Emerson, Poe, Rilke, Chekhov, etc....

Roger Zelazny, Philip K Dick..

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Hey! I remember you. Many are returning, a bit slowly, but creeping back from the carnage of the Facebook, and other social horrids.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    The Return of the Prodigal Sons?

Hey Nikolai I remember you too!!
    what does
    Jai Keshava
    mean?
    or is that your real name?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Of course. I spent a lot of time here in my late teens and I still pop in but only to write a blog entry every few months/year so people know I'm alive. Since I didn't actually read much save for what we were given for English literature I didn't really do literary discussions so always felt a little fraudulent in a literature forum. But the community was always welcoming and engaging. It's always nice to see the old usernames pop up.
    No doubt but there is none other beeste comparable to the mightie dragon in awsome power and majestie, and few so worthie of the diligent studies of wise men - Gildas Magnus, Ars Draconis, 1465

Blog Entries
    I'd say the other social medias took away forum members, namely fb, but also twitter and instagram

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Glad to have you back, NicolaiI.

@Bluebiird- You donīt participate in the literary discussions(which have become very few) but your blog is a very important contribution, a sort of subjective chronicle of the interior of US, that helps to keep the site alive.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Hi Bluebird!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiird View Post
    Of course. I spent a lot of time here in my late teens and I still pop in but only to write a blog entry every few months/year so people know I'm alive. Since I didn't actually read much save for what we were given for English literature I didn't really do literary discussions so always felt a little fraudulent in a literature forum. But the community was always welcoming and engaging. It's always nice to see the old usernames pop up.
    Thanks for this beautiful reply... it's good to see you around. I've read your blog a couple times, when they were pretty lengthy things. By the way, that is pretty much the most amazing quote, in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Hey Nikolai I remember you too!!
    what does
    Jai Keshava
    mean?
    or is that your real name?
    Thanks much, Cacian I'm glad to see you too. We talked about poetry mostly as I remember.. anglophile too... Jai Keshava, no it's actually a Hindu thing... (I'm not Indian).
    Last edited by NikolaiI; 08-03-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Wondering where many old friends went. This was such a wonderful place for many years. I have so many good associations here. I don't feel that way about most places.

Hello
    'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

More than a decade ago, I recall a wonderful Shakespeare forum gutted by spam. And, here at Lit-Net, a vibrant discussion of classics.

Those were the days, my friends.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

One problem for me is that some of the forums take forever to load. The "General Lit" forum still works well, but this one takes five minutes to load, so I rarely bother with it.

Good to hear from you Gladys. I remember our Jane Austen discussions fondly (even if we disagreed).

Blog Entries
    I think it's more than technical issues: Most of the active members are now active on Facebook, twitter, and other social media websites. I do use social media to communicate with friends, but that is the limit. And for good reason:

The "literature pages" on facebook are a hellish nitemare full of crappy information and constant constant clickbaiting. It is low calorie rubbish. Which is why I returned here as a prodigal son. I just could not find intelligent life in the social media's for this area (literature, arts).

My question is this: Why are there not more people returning to the forum for richer interaction? And, surely, we cannot say, "oh everyone is so busy now, blah blah" - life was busy 10 years ago.

If you were to locate the old litnetters: I think you would find them still hanging around facebook and twitter having poor calorie exchanges. Where did it all go?
    Last edited by tonywalt; 12-01-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Good points Tony.

I found that I have become very selective in how I now use social media and the internet in general; ( FB to keep in touch with approved friends and for cheap visual linkups, a local Hatfield community site that thankfully lacks any real keyboard warriors, a couple of food sites at a time, dependent on what cuisine I'm indulging in, and of course home from home Lit Net if I do a bit of writing.

I must confess that when I first joined Lit Net that I was in awe at some of the input. Top of their game contributors, where one learned so much. Some real characters too. Remember the Country Doc going on about the Revolution and Prof Solinetizian (excuse spelling,) daily producing tomes of barely comprehensible material on Turkey under the Ottomans? Aunt Shecky with her erudite sense of humour and the prodigious output of Steve Hunley in the Short Story section.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast