Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Story of a Rose

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Story of a Rose

Got to share that:

"When delegates from 50 nations met in San Francisco to sign the United Nations Charter in June 1945, they found a special message in their hotel room: a vase with a single rose bearing a special name."...

https://www.dw.com/en/united-nations...ace/a-53924289
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries

Bold Mister Lincoln

A sweet story... unfortunately the United Nations is paved with (mostly) good intentions; may there be a change...

Peace is one of my favorite roses... We had one in the past but don't have one currently, but may remedy tomorrow at our (very) local Garden Valley Roses provider as I search for a white rose and maybe Mister Lincoln... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_%27Mister_Lincoln%27 . We have had a Queen Elizabeth rose... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_%27Queen_Elizabeth%2 as our only rose for quite some time: tall, regal, and leggy (needs pruning) with beautiful pink flowers... our other roses killed by well-intentioned (or not) helpers (mowing/weed-eating) and deer and drought.

Purchased 4-roses recently: Ingrid Bergman... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_%27Ingrid_Bergman%27 , Sunsprite... https://www.gardenia.net/plant/rosa-sunsprite , Red Satin (difficult to find picture because of conflict with "satin roses"), and Tropical Sunset... https://garden.org/plants/view/2628/Rose-Rosa-Tropical- . They are still in pots and may be being over-watered at this time as the temperatures have been very warm here in Gold Country.

(lol... I didn't mean to title my post... I thought it was the Reason to Editing dialog box (need glasses (sigh))).

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 06-26-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: syntax )
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    You are right. Good intentions often donīt lead very far. And, of course the Germans love to remember the story, because the rose was created in Germany.

But you seem to cultivate roses too. I donīt like roses in vases and specially not in bunches, but rose gardens and indeed flower gardens must be beautiful. From the different species I mostly liked the Mr Lincoln Tea Rose. They donīt have so many petals, so it is easier to appreciate their design. I looked for some Brazilian species but wasnīt so successful.

But here is a video of the flower fair of Holambra (São Paulo) long before pandemics:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXdcvzaD4k
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Wonderful flower and flower accessory exhibit video. I hope it gets going soon again in S.P.

Sadly, I wouldn't consider myself a cultivator yet
    Noun. 1. cultivator - someone concerned with the science or art or business of cultivating the soil. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/cultivator
    ... lots to learn, but hope to start a garden and maintain it.

Picked up Mister Lincoln... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_%27Mister_Lincoln%27 and a new release Darling Namoi... a lovely white grandiflora today. So now 6-potted roses in need of a bed safe from deer, et al (right now they're on our back deck). They didn't have Peace ready for sale yet... waiting patiently.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link, Tailor. Mister Lincoln has in fact a beautiful and delicate design.

Holambra is the "Flower City" in the countryside. Everyone who cultivates and/or sells flowers or sometimes just tourists visit the fair. Some rose experiments have curious results:https://www.flickr.com/photos/marciofleury/5034516655

"So now 6-potted roses in need of a bed safe from deer, et al (right now they're on our back deck)". Lol! Keeping anything safe from deer is not a problem here. But, during quarantine I have found some objects in my home which could be used in a redecoration, like old boxes. I have turned an old ladder, which I hardly use, in a kind of mobile cupboard.

Blog Entries
    What a gorgeous rose !!!

Re-purposing your ladder is a great idea. I've been toying with the idea of using one or more bathtubs that we used to use as water troughs for the horses... the only drawback is, I believe, roses need good drainage and the single drain wouldn't serve well; perhaps I could drill more holes... hmmm, food for thought. Would also keep the gophers and moles from burrowing underneath... then just the deer and rabbits to worry about, well, bugs too I guess.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    It also depends of if you want to keep the roses inside your house or outside, in the garden. Is putting in the bathtubs better than planting the pots directly into the ground?

Blog Entries
    We plan on keeping the roses outside. Unsure if the roots would have room enough in the tubs... prolly end up in the ground the more I think about it. Maybe we'll put annuals or veg in the tubs. Still pondering.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    I never planted a rose in my life. But maybe this video gives you some suggestions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCywtP2oaxc

Blog Entries
    Thanx ! Lots of good information for the beginner (me). Will look for some containers and plant the roses in them and keep them on the deck {I'm thinking now}... lots of morning sun there and away from most critters. The bath tubs would be difficult to drill holes in necessary for drainage. 1/2-wine barrels would be neat if I could get them cheap... my Father, as I now recall, used 1/2-wine barrels for all kinds of plants at the various places we lived.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good idea. I didnīt know it was a video for beginners. Itīs just that I donīt know anything about it. You have your pets too. Tino used to think that any flowers that might turn up in my home were meant as a special dessert offer for him.

Blog Entries
    lol... Tino was all cat. We have 2-plants soaking in water that my wife wants to plant later "hidden" on top of our fridge with enough stuff around it that our cats wont bother to investigate. My 1-houseplant (Shamrock) has been decimated twice but miraculously survives. Anything in reach as you say is fair game.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Ai he was, and I still miss his catiness!

Lol! The problem is that you want these plants as an ornament of house or garden. Maybe, putting them on higher places or hanging them is a solution.
    Well, here are some helpful links:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Cat-out-of-Potted-Plants
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4irMDt7ds

Blog Entries
    Some good ideas.

Spoke too soon about the plants that were on the fridge. My wife thought it would be nice to put them in the bedroom on a high decorative tiered organizer that was staggered like steps on top of dresser drawer set; they were there only a few hours... Tinker Bell, he looks the most guilty, jumped up on the dresser and walked up to the plants and knocked one down shattering the exposed part of a protective glass sheet on the dresser top. Glass container with plant survived but plants are back on top of the fridge

I think the best solution for the two is to get them potted first (they're in drinking glasses filled with water) then install hooks in the ceiling to hang them out of reach). I also liked the Popsicle stick idea... my wife is trying to propagate some cherry pits in a container outside on our deck that Rosie (our indoor/outdoor cat), so far, hasn't disturbed.

tailor
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Just in defense of Mr. Tinker Bell: steps+ flowers(plants) are inviting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast