Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: How much added sugar do you consume?

How much added sugar do you consume?

"Added sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet." I read this somewhere online yesterday. Of course it's in just about everything with a label on it. Many (or most?) of us consume too much added sugar, and it looks like our health is suffering as a result. I've decided to avoid some stuff I've been eating daily for years, as I've noticed a decline in my health, and it seems to me that just cutting out stuff with lots of added sugar could be helpful. If the average American (and numerous other people) consumes about twice the recommended maximum of added sugar daily, where does all that excess go? Looks like it just goes to fat. It sounds like other issues besides weight are there too. Tons of info and videos about this of course, though seems like nutrition in general is confusing as hell and there is much disagreement.

Blog Entries
    I've cut out soda drinks, and all alcoholic drinks, but all the lady folk (including my Grand-daughter) on the "compound" love to bake cookies and pies and... so it's iffy for me to abstain. My greatest weakness is chocolate... one of my two sources of Vitamin C (the other being fried/baked chxn (chicken) ). A work in progress.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 05-18-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: edit
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

what do you mean by
    added sugar?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I simply love sweets, cakes and specially chocolate. But I avoid soft drinks and sugared fruit juices. I like three spoons of sugar in my tea, but am trying to get down to only two.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I simply love sweets, cakes and specially chocolate. But I avoid soft drinks and sugared fruit juices. I like three spoons of sugar in my tea, but am trying to get down to only two.
    The same here only I do not take sugar in tea or coffee which I drink very rarely.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Hi cacian, looking up "added sugar" this is the first thing I saw:

"Added sugars are sugars and syrups that are added to foods or beverages when they are processed or prepared. Naturally occurring sugars such as those in fruit or milk are not added sugars."

Just looking at labels on food products tells you how much sugar has been added. It sure is in A LOT of products and it comes in various forms with different names. I think high fructose corn syrup is a common one, for example, that has been wreaking havoc on human health for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by jajdude View Post
    Hi cacian, looking up "added sugar" this is the first thing I saw:

"Added sugars are sugars and syrups that are added to foods or beverages when they are processed or prepared. Naturally occurring sugars such as those in fruit or milk are not added sugars."

Just looking at labels on food products tells you how much sugar has been added. It sure is in A LOT of products and it comes in various forms with different names. I think high fructose corn syrup is a common one, for example, that has been wreaking havoc on human health for quite some time now.
    jajdude thank you for that. I never knew about fructose I never taken it but wow that sounds bad.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly