Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Corunavirus Journal

Woo-Hoo
    U-S-A-U-S-A-U-S-A
    We’re Number One We’re Number One
    All-Y’all can suck it

Feel like I should be doing the chicken dance, wearing cowboy boots and short pants and a gargantuan cowboy hat

Hmmm, too soon?
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Nah.

tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    .................................................. .................................................. .......!!
    Last edited by tonywalt; 12-17-2020 at 03:26 PM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lol!.....
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    I was reading an article this morning on the Swiss approach to Covid related deaths. Compared to other countries they have done pretty well; currently 80-100 deaths daily at the moment. But it has ignited a whole national debate about, “Have we forgotten how to die?”

The Swiss may as a race, come across at times as a bit over-pragmatic and cold blooded in regarding life as finite. After all they do have the suicide end of life clinics.

I can actually appreciate how this pandemic has brought a fresh reality to the prospect re dying of Covid. Recently a friend of mine in the UK was asked by his doctor if he wanted reviving if he fell ill with the virus. He said “No.”

Personally, I want reviving. Too much to live for and do. Even my idea of sheltered housing and long-term care, consists of a unit staffed by ex-carnival queen nurses overlooking Copacabana beach.

So here’s how the deal went down:

El Sancho’s Señora’s Papa was ailing (not Covid related), and being a good daughter, she traveled down to California to check on him. She stayed a few days and did all those things that good daughters in situations like that.

Afterwards, since there were still a few days to burn, and since it’s important for a good daughter to give equal time to both parents, she traveled a couple of towns over to see her Mama. She stayed a few days and did whatever it is that mother’s and daughters do when they have a few days to burn.

And then she came home. Sancho was away on a trip during all of this.

A few days later she started coughing and sputtering like a 1974 Ford Pinto, and that also happened to be around the time El Sancho got home.

She said to me something along the lines of, “Hi Honey. Welcome home. I can’t taste a thing. I think I’ve got it.”

I said something along the lines of, “Get over on your side of the room, woman.”

Well, she called her Papa and recommended that he get tested. He did. Turns out his aforementioned ailment was Covid related after all.

Shortly there after her mother called her and said something along the lines of, “Sweetheart, I’m coughing and sputtering like a poorly maintained 1974 Ford Pinto and I can’t taste a thing.”

So...

La Señora - positive
    La Señora’s Papa - positive
    La Señora’s Mama - positive
    La Señora’s step Mama - positive
    La Señora’s step Papa - positive
    Various Aunts and Uncles - positive

Not to worry, every body’s doing well, and basically over it by now. Well, almost everybody. One is still struggling.

And what about you, El Sancho? You may ask.

I feel great. Grrrr-ate. Never better in fact. I have to get the rapid test every week for my job:

And El Sancho - Negative - Negative - Negative.

Go figure.

On another subject, despite being months away it feels like Spring is nigh at hand - maybe just two weeks from now. Our long dark winter is nearly over. The sun is shining, the days are getting longer, and the future looks bright.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    That was certainly a tough beginning of 2021, Sancho. I am glad the worst is over and that you yourself are regularly tested. At this times it is very good when you people turn up and one knows that you are well. And it seems to be still a mystery why some people get or spread Corona more easily than others.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Thanks Danik, everybody’s still doing well. The step parent who is struggling has a lot of other serious medical conditions and it’s not at all clear what’s the cause of what with him.

We’ve still got a lot to figure out about this virus, the testing for instance. What exactly constitutes a “positive” test. As I mentioned in my last post I get rapid tested (the antigen test) weekly for work and have been testing negative since we started doing it. The wife’s family turned up positive with the PCR test, however the labs didn’t say how many cycles it took to turn up genetic material from the virus. I read that if the virus shows up in only 20 cycles then you’re probably seriously infected. If it takes 60 cycles to turn up the virus you probably don’t have that much of it in your system. So how many cycles constitutes a positive test? Well, it depends on the lab. Anyway Wired magazine has a good article on it:

I Tested Positive For COVID 19. What Does That Really Mean

https://www.wired.com/story/i-tested...hat-that-mean/

I agree with you, of the infected in young and healthy populations, who is able to shrug it off and who dies from it seems random. So in keeping with my original metaphor of us as soldiers and the virus a war, the randomness of the virus is like a mortar barrage - somebody’s gonna buy it, but no telling who. Your buddy got turned to mush last week and now you’re sitting there in your foxhole waiting for that faint whistle of the incoming round with your name on it. It can be maddening if you think about it too much.
    Uhhhh...

Sorry everybody. Looks like I killed that other thread we were all having so much on. Stomped that sucker flat, in fact. And thing we’re just starting to get fun.

Cheers
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    No, Sancho. I think the problem was opening a thread about politics, which isn´t permitted, so the fault was mine.

Blog Entries
    I just wanted to talk about cannibalism.
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Blog Entries
    Dear Litnetters. This thread here is meant for news and exchanges about Coronavirus. For other themes I ask you please to open correspondent threads, bearing in mind that depending on theme and or developments the thread might be closed.

Blog Entries
    RIP Captain Tom Moore!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...785_story.html

Sorry to hear that he died!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Thanks Danik, everybody’s still doing well. The step parent who is struggling has a lot of other serious medical conditions and it’s not at all clear what’s the cause of what with him.

We’ve still got a lot to figure out about this virus, the testing for instance. What exactly constitutes a “positive” test. As I mentioned in my last post I get rapid tested (the antigen test) weekly for work and have been testing negative since we started doing it. The wife’s family turned up positive with the PCR test, however the labs didn’t say how many cycles it took to turn up genetic material from the virus. I read that if the virus shows up in only 20 cycles then you’re probably seriously infected. If it takes 60 cycles to turn up the virus you probably don’t have that much of it in your system. So how many cycles constitutes a positive test? Well, it depends on the lab. Anyway Wired magazine has a good article on it:

I Tested Positive For COVID 19. What Does That Really Mean

https://www.wired.com/story/i-tested...hat-that-mean/

I agree with you, of the infected in young and healthy populations, who is able to shrug it off and who dies from it seems random. So in keeping with my original metaphor of us as soldiers and the virus a war, the randomness of the virus is like a mortar barrage - somebody’s gonna buy it, but no telling who. Your buddy got turned to mush last week and now you’re sitting there in your foxhole waiting for that faint whistle of the incoming round with your name on it. It can be maddening if you think about it too much.
    Somehow missed on this because of that other discussion.

So here’s a weird thing. My señora got this thing last year and after walking around with a dry cough for about a month, she got over it. She regained her sense of smell and taste, but here’s the weird part - she keeps smelling smoke. We’ll be walking around and she’ll declare: “Something’s on fire. I smell smoke. Do you smell smoke? Because I smell smoke. Go get a bucket of water. And make it snappy!”
    Uhhhh...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast