Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Corunavirus Journal

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, Sancho!

Hope your Lady is now vaccinated and in excellent health. As for the smoke donīt we all sometimes smell smoke? Letīs hope that the (Brazilian) saying " Where there is smoke, there is fire" isnīt always correct.
    (Sometimes I donīt know whether you are serious or joking.)
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Watching the BBC news on the people with the corona coming across the Mexican border. Seems scary. Glad I live on a tropical island.
    Last edited by tonywalt; 07-20-2021 at 11:36 PM.

How-d-do, Danik

Yep, La Seņora got fully vaccinated back in April. In fact she and I both did - with the Pfizer version. So here’s another weird thing. Although she already had the virus, she felt sick after the second shot. I never got the virus (as far as I know) and I never felt a thing from the vaccination. Go figure. Something in her body chemistry doesn’t agree with Covid 19, I reckon. Anyhow she’s fine, ornery as ever in fact. Her whole side of the family has recovered from it after passing it around amongst themselves like a crack pipe.

As for Mexico, Tony, I think the tragedy of that situation is that most Mexicans would do anything for the vaccine, but they can’t get it. Up here we’ve got all the doses we need (and they’re free) but a large chunk of the population won’t get vaccinated largely because they’ve listened to some BS from disreputable news source or an internet troll.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    I have to apologize, Sancho. Only when I watched the news yesterday I got your subtle comment: US is burning. Letīs tell you: we in the southeast sometimes smell the fires in central Brazil.

And you have moved on. We are still stuck with the virus.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Oy vey

The fires in western North America have become an every-year event. Well, they’ve always been an every-year thing, but recently they’ve become more widespread and the fire season lasts longer. And, like the virus, western fires are now political. Folks on one side of the political schism believe the fires to be a result of climate change, while folks the other side believe the fires to be a result of poor forest management and logging restrictions.

Here in western Washington State we usually don’t get much smoke, maybe a couple of days a year. It’s been nice so far this summer. We have a barrier between us and the eastern part of the state called the Cascade Mountain Range and we typically have a cool, moist breeze from over the Pacific Ocean. However when the winds shift we’ll get smoke up from Oregon and California, or down from British Columbia, or from points east. NYC has been getting more smoke from the western fires than Seattle has. In fact 40 or so years ago when Mt St Helens erupted (southwest Washington State) the ash cloud blew east. Coastal areas of the Pacific North West mostly avoided the ash fallout. I’ll bet they had ash from St Helens as far east as Chicago and hazy skies on the Eastern Seaboard.

At any rate the smoke La Seņora smells isn’t a result of the western fires. It may or may not be Covid related. She thinks it’s allergies, but I’m not so sure. It only started happening after she had the virus. So I wasn’t really joking in my earlier post. I was however joking with her the other night when I said, “Hey, hon, let’s go to that new Texas Barbecue joint and get some smoked ribs…oh wait. All your food is always smoked, eh sweetheart?”

Turns out it was a ill-considered joke and resulted in me having dry white toast for dinner.
    Uhhhh...

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    How-d-do, Danik

Yep, La Seņora got fully vaccinated back in April. In fact she and I both did - with the Pfizer version. So here’s another weird thing. Although she already had the virus, she felt sick after the second shot. I never got the virus (as far as I know) and I never felt a thing from the vaccination. Go figure. Something in her body chemistry doesn’t agree with Covid 19, I reckon. Anyhow she’s fine, ornery as ever in fact. Her whole side of the family has recovered from it after passing it around amongst themselves like a crack pipe.

As for Mexico, Tony, I think the tragedy of that situation is that most Mexicans would do anything for the vaccine, but they can’t get it. Up here we’ve got all the doses we need (and they’re free) but a large chunk of the population won’t get vaccinated largely because they’ve listened to some BS from disreputable news source or an internet troll.
    Just stay south of the US Border, I would advise them. The border is strong. Now.

There it is.

Hey, you know what else we can add to our growing list of stuff that’s gotten political? - Banking regulations. You know those lax regulations that allow rich dudes to dodge taxes by hiding their money in overseas numbered accounts, eh Tony?

So our schism list goes like this so far: Covid-19, Forest Fires, Border Control, and Banking.

Hmm, what else? I know. How about flag-of-convenience for international maritime operations?

Good book about that: Outlaw Sea by William Langewiesche. (This is a literature website after all)
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Well, maybe your wife should see a doctor. Only one has to ponder as the Corona Virus is still a recent presence, doctors might be more puzzled than helpful.

Anyway, if you suggested it to your wife it might avoid further white toast!

Blog Entries
    Corunavirus Journal-Omicron times

Just bumping up this thread to learn how you all are faring!

Blog Entries
    I've spent the pandemic lockdown in a tiny little studio apartment with a view of a brick wall. I know I'm not the only one. People throughout the world are in a similar situation.

Others have it worse. They are living in crowded tiny apartments with lots of relatives.

Meanwhile, the spokespeople for the rich say that "we are all in this together!"

Really??

Spending the pandemic in a tiny studio apartment, or in a crowded little apartment with lots of relatives, is not the same as spending the pandemic in a big mansion with a big garden.

God forbid you should face lockdown as some street vendor in the Third World. Then, your kids go hungry.

Things are terrible.

I miss going to see comedians so much.

But I'm lucky. I have food. Lots of people right now don't have enough food. Inflation is hitting people everywhere real hard.
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Blog Entries
    I can only agree with you!

Blog Entries
    I follow Brazil closely. It is one of my favorite countries in the world. I speak fluent Portuguese, or use to. I think, if I remember right, you live in the center of the Brazilian universe: São Paulo. I'm sure that while it is challenging to live in São Paulo, it is absolutely wonderful with comedians & artists & everything else. However, right now it must be very very challenging to live in São Paulo. I'm currently living in the American Midwest, and I cannot believe how close minded these people are! Since I grew up in the Midwest I should be used to it, but after getting out a bit in the world, it gets rather, well.. Never mind... What am I babbling on about anyway?

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Pull yourself together Wolf.

The brick wall outside your apartment window is getting to you.

Blog Entries
    Hi, Manichaean,

Nice to read you, anyway. How are you faring through omicron?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    Pull yourself together Wolf.

The brick wall outside your apartment window is getting to you.
    Maybe I will eat the rich people living in the penthouse. Not for the food (I have plenty of that) but for the space. And the view!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast