Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Corunavirus Journal

Blog Entries
    After jumping through a few hoops I got in:
    Social gatherings have become a convenient scapegoat for political leaders flummoxed by the steeply climbing numbers, some experts said.

“It seems like they’re passing off the responsibility for controlling the outbreak to individuals and individual choices,” said Ellie Murray, an epidemiologist at Boston University. “A pandemic is more a failure of the system than the failure of individual choices.”
    ... and thus the circus continues.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree, tailor. But some political gatherings are in itself the proof of the pudding. For example, in the White House gathering to welcome the Judge appointed by the president to succeed Ruth Ginzburg a lot of people were infected.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    A humorous article about the recent mask culture:
    "Recently, at a funeral, I got to thinking about the lesser challenges of the mask."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/o...034f35b9c22796
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Part of the problem in this country is top level autocrats telling the public to do one thing while flouting their own rules to suit their needs... no harm, no foul unless they get caught, and then they smarmily apologize.

re: Article: Very funny... “And who am I beneath this mask I wear?”. My various masks were/are unfitting to my face and personality. I even had some decorative masks sewn for me by a member of the church with 4-yarn dangles that I would try to tie. I still try to smile at the appropriate times; I wonder if my eyes light up? An odd complaint I have is the masks scratching my eyes when they ride up too high.

The white/blue masks are the ones I wear mostly now; unfortunately I watched a video on facebook (early on) on the making of these masks flying off the "assembly" straight onto a filthy floor - then gathered up for shipping... similar to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8SAYIGZA3g

Praying we survive this madness,

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    re1: Sounds familiar, tailor

re Mask: Oh my! Yes, one prefers masks one knows where they come from and anyway one has to wash them before using. I have found out that masks with elastic around the ears adjust better to the face. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFFidOT7eHA

Blog Entries
    As many country are advancing with preparations of corona vaccination, I hope that the first vaccinated Litnet Member will share his/her impressions in one of the corona threads.

Good idea for a thread, Danik - A sort of living history.

I’m not sure how this thing will play out, but it’s certainly interesting being in the middle of it and tying to suss out what’s important and what’s BS.

Based on the early information we got my initial thought was:
    - If it’s as infectious as they say, I’m probably going to get it
    - And since there’s no vaccine
    - I might as well get it over with
    - And vaccinate myself the old-fashioned way

Well, so far I’ve danced through this mine field with nary a scratch. But now with a vaccine close at hand my thinking has changed. I’m getting a little skittish about being around people, especially indoors. I feel like a grunt who’s been lucky enough to survive a long war, but now with both sides in peace talks, the fight has gone out of him. The grunt just doesn’t want to be the last soldier killed in a stupid war. I’d hate to catch this thing and wind up on a vent a week or two before my local CVS pharmacy gets the vaccine.
    Uhhhh...

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    One of the things that I have found somewhat interesting in the last nine months of lockdown is the vividness of my dreams. It does not worry me. I've realised even more that man is a social animal and that long periods not interacting with others can perhaps accentuate ones mental functioning.

Either that, or I am going round the bend and losing my marbles!!

Blog Entries
    @Sancho - It´s nice to read from you again. I think you are quite right. So far you were lucky. I think it would be foolishness to expose yourself now that help is on the way.

@Manichaean - Yes. It may be a good outlet for someone, who usually is very active. But vaccination starts next week in UK. You probably will be the first active Litnetter vaccinated against Covid. Think of the honour!

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Hi Danik

Yes cant wait to get vaccinated. Priorities in the UK are:

1. Health care workers & nursing homes.
    2. Over 80.
    3. Over 75 ( My category)

Take care
    M.

Thanks Danik, it’s good to be here.

Has anybody else bought a home-barber kit. Gotta say, my results have been mixed. If it wasn’t so embarrassing, I’d attach photos. Wife is fond of saying, “Ah, it’ll grow out.”

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing my barber again. I feel bad for her during this pandemic. As I walk by her shop, I see her sitting in there all alone, staring blankly at the TV, or sweeping up an already clean floor. I usually wave and she always smiles and waves back, but I’m sure she’s thinking - you need haircut, scraggly man, get in chair, don’t be scare - You see, my barber is a wicked good-looking Asian woman. Our conversations are deep and nuanced and usually go something like this:

Barber - how you wan?
    Sancho - regular
    B - numbah shree oh numbah foe
    S - number four
    B - how much in top?
    S - two weeks worth
    B - haha, straight back oh round back?
    S - round back

bzzzzzz-bzzzzz-bzzzzz

B - we hab nice day, yes? no rain
    S - gorgeous, gotta go outside and enjoy it
    B - No! I hab work!
    S - bummer
    B - yes bummah!

Clip-clip-clip

B - you hab cowlick in back
    S - I grew up on a farm
    B - you funny man. you wan trim eyebrow?
    S - no thanks
    B - hmmm, you nee trim eyebrow
    S - okay then, just a little though, I like em bushy
    B - you nee big trim eyebrow
    S - As you wish

Clip-clip-clip

And so on...
    Also she smells terrific.

I think you’re on to something with the vivid dreams, M. I dreamt about her the other night, nothing creepy, just barbershop stuff, sans masks.
    Uhhhh...

Left out the best part. Talk about a vivid dream, in it I could smell her perfume.
    Uhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    One of the things that I have found somewhat interesting in the last nine months of lockdown is the vividness of my dreams. It does not worry me. I've realised even more that man is a social animal and that long periods not interacting with others can perhaps accentuate ones mental functioning.

Either that, or I am going round the bend and losing my marbles!!
    Hi Manichean that made laugh.
    Do you keep a diary of your dreams?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Danik this is a great idea of thread.
    Corona Virus certainly pauses for thoughts.
    Last edited by cacian; 12-04-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Sancho

That would have been top of the pops in the Short Story Sharing section. 😉. I can relate to it actually for when working in Vietnam I had a pretty dimutive lady barber who for about $5 every Saturday used to: cut my hair, trim my beard, shave the exposed bits and give me a head massage. The piece de resistance was when she put on a miners lamp attachment and dewaxed my ears with a multitude of instruments. She smelt fresh and whoopee also.
    Last edited by MANICHAEAN; 12-04-2020 at 04:30 PM.