Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Corunavirus Journal

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Corunavirus Journal

For the next weeks, I think that most of us will live in a more or less strict quarantine in our different countries.

This is meant to be a thread for sharing impressions, ideas, reflections or whatever related to these unusual times.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Just finished the another JM Coetzee book, "Disgrace" loved it. love that writer

Blog Entries
    I have heard about this trilogy, Tony, but didnīt read it myself.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Excellent idea Danik.
    I've got 12 weeks self isolation as from Monday as I'm over 70. Already given up going to the gym and will try to read at least 3 hours a day. Almost like being back in exam mode from the 60's decade.

Blog Entries
    I have been self isolated for some weeks, going out only once a day to buy the necessary things, but now they wonīt have even that.

But letīs hope time passes quickly with good books, good music and, if possible, some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I have been self isolated for some weeks, going out only once a day to buy the necessary things, but now they wonīt have even that.

But letīs hope time passes quickly with good books, good music and, if possible, some exercise.
    Hello there Danik.
    Why have you self isolated for few weeks?
    How do you mean by:
    they won't even have that?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Hi, cacian, thanks for your interest.
    When I noticed that the Virus was being brought to Brasil, I took a sort of half quarantine, stayed at home, but went out, once a day to get the necessary things.

What happens now is that the authorities want people over 60 to stay completely at home. They are not to go out, not even to the drugstore or the supermarket.

Blog Entries
    Re: recent virus:

The herd has panicked. As for what I'm doing: I'm watching the herd panic and sitting, chewing on a straw. (As for what that means? Or whether it's a sad commentary on the human herd. This I do not know - and wouldn't give a straight answer, until the herd calms down. Getting trampled is my main concern).

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    A lot of the panic is induced by the news and social media. Giving the facts on the news is fine, but I've noted how Sky News for example always comes in on worst case scenarios when reporting.

Then on the social media there are some horrific videos. I got one yesterday of a coffin going into an incinerator and burning. Ok, when you go, you go, but that was a bit too graphic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    A lot of the panic is induced by the news and social media. Giving the facts on the news is fine, but I've noted how Sky News for example always comes in on worst case scenarios when reporting.

Then on the social media there are some horrific videos. I got one yesterday of a coffin going into an incinerator and burning. Ok, when you go, you go, but that was a bit too graphic.
    You are quite right, Manichaean. But some news exagerate, the other keep hiding the facts. Here in São Paulo they are transforming two of the great football stadions in what they call campaign hospitals to relieve the actual hospitals, which means that they must have reached the limit of their capacity.
    My strict quarantine starts today. No going out, not even to the supermarket.

Delete
    Last edited by kev67; 03-24-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Danik
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    You are quite right, Manichaean. But some news exagerate, the other keep hiding the facts. Here in São Paulo they are transforming two of the great football stadions in what they call campaign hospitals to relieve the actual hospitals, which means that they must have reached the limit of their capacity.
    My strict quarantine starts today. No going out, not even to the supermarket.
    Presumably you have food delivered to you, unless you have a vegetable garden.

We've been told we can only go out to buy food and necessaries (which to me includes alcohol), to exercise once a day, to go to work if you cannot work from home, or for medical reasons. Advice changes every day. New measures are announced every other day. I'm bored of it already.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Blog Entries
    It is possible to have food delivered from the mini supermarket in the same street. Also people in my building offered to buy. The quarantine so far is no problem to me but I should like to go out once a week or so to buy some items. Risk groups are to leave home only under extreme necessity.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-28-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    We don't get much information this topic here - as WIFI in not efficient. Hopefully I will go to the beach today, definitely going now that I think about it.
    Last edited by tonywalt; 03-28-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    I donīt know, Tony. The reported quantity of infected in my country is immense and the number of dead people is doubling each second day.

A nice link though I want to share with you:
    https://www.lauragao.com/wuhan

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast