Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What To Read During the Pandemic

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The first Nosferatu movie, impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC6jFoYm3xs
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Jill Lepore's "take" on this very topic:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...e-really-about

I started to read Mary Shelley's The Last Man right at the beginnings of this pandemic, but though very good at times at others it just drags on without moving the story line along at a desired pace. Sadly I put it down, as I have much of my reading as I find my anxiety seems to interfere with my enjoyment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Man

http://www.online-literature.com/she.../the-last-man/

I purchased Luther's Works Vol. 43: Devotional Writings II in order to read his letter Whether One May Flee From
    A Deadly Plague
    . It was an interesting read. As in much of his writings a marvelous combination of common sense and scriptural insight. I appreciated his reminder that one should not abandon responsibility whether from civic position, family ties or even one's duty to help an ill neighbor where they have no other to help. That being said he stresses that there is not a contradiction between trusting the Lord and taking precautions (using medicine, social distancing, etc.).

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Please read this

Please read this article about Shakespeare and the Plague.

I came across it when I dialed up the Google machine to look up Niall Ferguson, who recommended the essay.

By the way the word "decalced" means a requirement for those within religious orders to go barefoot or wear sandals.

Do the passages cited from the Scottish play ring a contemporary bell to you?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...out-the-plague

Samuel Pepys wrote in his diary about the plague that broke out in London in 1665. Most people who could moved out of the city. He stuck it out and was lucky. iirc about a sixth of the population died. Sounds like there was even more news back then than there is now. Never mind Brexit followed by Coronavirus. 1660: the restoration of the monarchy. This was followed by trials, executions, disinterments, and a lot of new appointments to high office. 1665: an outbreak of the plague. 1666: The Great Fire of London, followed by its rebuilding. The War with The Netherlands tends to get forgotten. I am not reading Pepys' diary, but I am reading a biography of him by Claire Tomalin.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry! Couldn´t assess the article from NYT.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Just started reading The Andromeda Strain by Micheal Crichton...captivating read yet stressful at times considering the times we live in.

I'm sticking to Harold Bloom's reading list. I don't entirely agree with it, but it's the best guide I know.

Old Arold wasn't too bad a guide. Stuck up of course but that's a common flaw of those who know a lot about a little. I have known plenty stuck-up brickies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12