Thread: Back for a short visit

Back for a short visit

This is not really a short story. I just thought I would say hello here to old friends as I've been gone from this Forum for about 4 years now. I see some familiar names -- AuntShecky, MANICHAEAN, Steven Hunley, Hawkman, YesNo, Cacian…

I wrote 27 short stories in a 3-year period, from the beginning of 2013 to around the end of 2015 and posted all of them here. I appreciated all the good and useful comments I received from all of you. Starting about the end of 2012, I had a lot of stress in my job - certain people were trying to force me out, and they finally succeeded. I retired mid-2015. I started writing all these stories when my career problems began - I think that writing was an outlet for my stress. It helped keep me sane. I've written only written one story since my retirement - hence my absence from this Forum.

Anyway, I am enjoying retirement, but I seem to have lost all motivation for writing. Perhaps some calamity will befall me that will inspire me to start writing again. Actually, after trying unsuccessfully to come up with ideas for story-writing, I picked up my guitar again. I played out in public for a paying job last September for the first time in 40 years. I've been playing out in public regularly ever since and love it.

So, some of you may have wondered what happened to me, why I disappeared without even a whimper. I'm still around, and who knows? Maybe I will yet get back into writing someday, but with this note, I just thought I would say thank you to all you who read my stories back then and took the time to comment on them. While I didn't know you in person, I felt that you were my friends, and your friendship, along with the catharsis I felt while writing, helped me through some difficult times.

I'll try to come back here to visit occasionally. Until next time....
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your visit, Fountains. If I rightly remember, you left in 2016, shortly after I registered. I remember reading a short story by you.

YesNo isn´t here at the time. He has a blog on Wordpress now, with pics and text, which can be visited and followed.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Thanks, Danik. Yes, I remember your name, too. I'll try and come back here from time to time.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back to the NitLet! Good thing you waited 'til now. Late summer, early fall last year, the site was overrun with spambots. I kid you not! Not only that, something called "CloudFlare" kept interfering with some of the NitLetters when we attempted to log on. We lost some good contributors who got fed up. But we're glad to see you posting again in a period of relative calm (at least on the site.)

Very nice to hear from you. You always, always gave me great advice for editing, rewriting, and fine tuning my stories.
    Thomas Hardy

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Ah Ha. A voice from the past.

Thanks for popping in.

Actually 108 fountains, a lot of what you said, both mirrors and resonates with me.

In my case I realised I no longer enjoyed the job I was doing in Taiwan and retired at 76. Also, I went through a very frustrating period of what I believe is termed "writers block." Thankfully that is now passed and I've got the creative juices pumping again.

How true about friends on Lit Net: disparate, globally stretched, but never met face to face.

Keep well, but most of all, stay in touch.
    Best wishes
    M.

Thanks for your reply, Manichaean. Yes, I think you and I have had many similar experiences in our lives and in our travels. Your stories, based on your experiences, always reminded me of my own experiences in "the Far East." Actually, I'll be traveling to Thailand and Vietnam next month. I still have friends there and places to stay there, so I'll be there seven weeks - a nice long visit. When I was in Vietnam as a U.S. diplomat from 1998-2002, I had many, many interesting experiences, and I've really not written any stories based on any of them (yet). Who knows? If the security police still have their files on me, I might have some interesting experiences there this time, too (although I'm not planning on doing anything or meeting anybody there controversial).
    Thomas Hardy

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Once I've settled my horrendous UK tax bill for last year, I'm planning a month in Vietnam myself.

Fascinating country. I spent 3 years there working on the Than Hoa Refinery and loved; the people, food, simple life style and family values. Most of my time was up north, but I did trips to Saigon, Vinh & Hanoi. This time I planning to stay with a family in the Mekong Delta, combined with indulgent luxury in the HCM Caravelle.

If you get a chance, read my story called "Vietnam Redemption," and give me an opinion.

Blog Entries
    Your return is great news. I can't wait to see what you've got up your literary sleeve.