Thread: High church vs low church bust up

High church vs low church bust up

Just started the second volume in which Mr Arabin, the new vicar, is introduced. Apparently he's a fire-eater, and so high church that he nearly became a Roman Catholic. I guess he is going to take on Obidiah Slope, the cunning, low church curate and puppet master of the weak, new bishop, Dr Proudie. I am not sure Dr Grantly, the pugnacious archdeacon from The Warden, has quite enough to take down Obidiah Slope, but perhaps he could take on Mrs Proudie, the bishop's termagant wife. Dr Harding, the meek precentor would not be much use in a scrap, but then neither is the new bishop. So, all in all, the sides are about equal. Let battle commence!
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Things are not progressing as I expected, which is a good thing. The Low Church faction has fallen out with each other.
    This is quite a political book. There are not many political fiction books, but this is one of them.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell