Thread: Modern Parlance.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

Modern Parlance.

Modern Parlance.

It must be a generational thing, but I'm having increasing trouble interpreting current human status phraseology.

I think it started with some self absorbed starlet or other in the States talking about "Conscious decoupling," which apparently is a rather obtuse way of saying "We are separating, or getting divorced."

This then moved onto the more widely used phrase, "My partner." This for me can be a real guessing game as it can include: wives, husbands, or lovers. An extra dimension is added if the there is a contained nuance that refers to a relationship that involves being; gay, lesbian, transgender, alien or swinging both ways.

The latest that I have stumbled across in my efforts to keep abreast of international news, is from the actress Emma Thompson talking about "Self partnering." Although I must forego any observation as to this being a contradiction of a terminology nature, I can in fact sympathise with the intentions underlying its usage. This I discern to be that wheras single men of a certain age are told to "Go out and play, the field;" that in a likewise female case, the attitude is one of "Dont worry, the right one will come along soon."

Perhaps I'm stretching the boundaries a bit also, in posing the questions; Is there an age limit? Can one propose to ones self?

It's all getting a bit confusing, and not much of enlightenment can be gleaned from The Book of Genesis.

But anyway, there you have it. At the next family dinner party, where perhaps three generations are gathered around the table, drop a bombshell by announcing that you are "Consciously decoupling your partner and becoming a self partner." Watch Grandma's reaction!!!

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One new thing, that seems to be "in" is people (mostly or exclusively women) getting married to themselves, dressed as a bride and all.
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...riage-for-one/
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Unbelievable. But at the same time loved the story of the woman who married a dolphin.
    Thanks for your usual assiduous research.
    M.