Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victor Hugo's books are the best!

Unregistered

No Subject

I totally agree with you, I am in the midst of finishing Les Miserables and I love every bit of it so far. Victor Hugo is definately a genius! and I can't wait to read the Hunchback of Notre Dame

simplyme

Victor Hugo's books are the best!

I liked this book a lot because it's just... WONDERFUL!!! Those who enjoyed this book should also read LES MISERABLES! I think Victor Hugo is the best writer on earth.

Les Miserables is amazing and my favorite book ever. I love it and everything about it. Its very deep and very exciting and very romantic and everything else wonderful about literature.

~*~ Lauren Elizabeth ~*~

Victor Hugo was a Genius

I thing Victor Hugo was a genius. I have read the "hunch back of notre dame" & "les misreable" & lost myself in them. The heroism, hope & tragedy depicted in these books completely move you. I would recommend these two books to everyone.

I <3 the hunchback of notre dame, not only is a tragic romance but it is also funny. I love how Hugo presents Frollo.

The greatest love story

Agreed. Hunchback is the greatest. Just look at the love themes.

Esmiralda to phaedus infatuation
    Frollo to Esmirelda lust
    hunchback to Esmirelda pure and unrequited
    Mother's to the boot lost yet hopeful
    phaedus to the ladies for political gain
    Esmirelda and the church upset and forgiveness

I don't have my copy handy. There are probalbly many more.

re-v
    btw
    Although I liked Les Mis I stalled out three quarters of the way through. I remember vividly. It's when Jean, from a distance, wathced the courting of the young girl around the skating park in mid-winter.

Hunchback is good t the last drop.

Exclamation Hugoist

alennox21-

I am a fellow hugoist and I would beseech you give les mis another try. Some of it can be a little slow, but I have never been more affected by another book. And the end is good, so you should read it again, and start from the beginning...another of hugo's greats and much shorter than les mis, though still substantial, is the Toilers of the Sea, I couldn't put it down.

Renod

I <3 hunchback of notre dame and have heard only good things about les mis. but Hugo must have written more than those great hits. everyone i've ever talked to has just read those 2 Hugo books, i'm going to try to expand my reach
    Sarah*Joy
    "Though this be madness, yet there is method in it."

Sometimes you think a classic author has been relegated to academic study only and that done only under duress. It's great to know Victor Hugo is still appreciated for the master he is. I used to be an incurable romantic but now I take vaccines like non-fiction, obscure poetry and the NY Times. People who really love Hugo got to be put off by a presentation of his work in an expensive and happy-happy production like a broadway play. RJS

Victor Hugo is an exquisite writer, unsurpassed by even Dostoevsky! I loved the Hunchback and Les Miserables. I'm eager to read other works from him.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    Victor Hugo is an exquisite writer, unsurpassed by even Dostoevsky! I loved the Hunchback and Les Miserables. I'm eager to read other works from him.
    I loved the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Les Miserables but unsurpassed by Dostoevsky? I definitely don't think so. I have yet to read a piece of classical literature (besides War and Peace) that reserves a place closely behind or equal to the brilliance of The Brother's Karamazov.
    Last edited by Adolescent09; 07-06-2007 at 10:09 AM.
    My hide hides the heart inside

I guess we will have to agree to disagree for now. I've only read The Idiot by Dostoevsky, which I mildly liked (but I much preferred Hugo's works to it), so perhaps I should save my opinions until I have a broader sense of his works. Besides, your preference on The Brothers Karamazov is merely opinion. I've seen many who claimed The Idiot or Crime & Punishment to be Dostoevsky's greatest masterpiece.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    The Brother's Karamazov is predominantly cosidered his greatest masterpiece which is the reason I read it in the first place. My soul opinion had little to do with me desiring to read the book or stipulate that it was his finest work. The Idiot, The Adolescent, Crime & Punishment and his other works have also been considered masterpieces, but every time I've ever heard allusion to Doestoevsky it has always been followed by rigorous discussion of either The Brother's Karamzov or Crime & Punishment.

So while my previous post strongly suggested a very partial opinion, it is an opinion that is supported by most, and thus, should be respected. Now that I read what I posted I can see why it might have been misconstrued as offensive and I'm sorry. It was only my opinion shared by a majority.
    Last edited by Adolescent09; 07-06-2007 at 12:40 PM.
    My hide hides the heart inside

To Adolescent09: Being an Hugo officianado makes me doubly prejudiced about the quality and subject matter of his work. To really get to the heart of the man, you must read at least a few chapters of his memoirs...they are a play by play rendition of the French Revolution and you won't find happy little tunes and romantic actors trying to put a comedic face on a tragic and seminal historic era. quasimodo1

I agree..Hugo's works are wonderful and inspiring reading....

I loved Andrew Lloyd Webber's Les Mis on stage...it was never meant to be a literal re-telling...but rather an adaptation to showcase his(Webber's) beautiful music...which I think represents the emotions of Hugo's story very well! They should never be compared ...Victor Hugo's work was an inspiration for ALW...why would anyone deny art & beauty? There is no competition going on there...

I love all of Hugo's works...but especially his 'History of Crime'...his unique sense of humor...the imagery and emotion he uses to describe France during those times is fascinating and beautiful...

And how many people who...after seeing Les Mis on stage...were inspired to read more from Hugo...
    Last edited by Debrasue; 07-06-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast