I heard about the musical in 1st grade. My teacher was a fanatic & had us watch bits of the play & act out little parts & we even sang "Castle on a Cloud" for the school. I didn't get it then, my teacher was a little nuts anyway, so it's not like I really thought I'd love anything about this"Les Miserables". Then a friend of mine asked me if I'd ever heard of it. I told her I had an obsessive 1st grade teacher & that was my only exposure. She had me listen to the New York Broadway edition. I was surprised to admit that I liked it. Next thing you know, my mom & I got everything Les Mis we could find @ the library just out of curiousity, us both having heard of it, but never seeing it. We watched 10th anniversary & I got bit by the Les Mis bug. That was it. I heard "On My Own" & I thought, "Man, is she good! I want the soundtrack! Go Eponine!" I could barely control myself in "A Little Fall of Rain". Eponine was dying! Then I read the junior novelization, which I found to be SO watered down & stupid that I didn't finish it, so I got the REAL Victor Hugo & it is like right along w/ the musical. FABULOUS! I bought the 10th anniversary. Sang "One Day More" @ a friend's b-day party & was crowned "American Idol". Fun! Now I know all the lyrics & sing it in the shower, as I walk my dog, in the hospital waiting room, @ the bus stop, etc. THIS IS THE BEST MUSICAL IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! BUY THE BOOK! BUY THE SOUNDTRACKS! BUY THE MUSICAL! Once you see this you can't stop going Les Mis crazy!!! IT'S UTTERLY UNDESCRIBABLE!!! You will be inspired to wear RED & BLACK FOREVER! Guaranteed! VIVE LA REPUBLIQUE!!!