Thread: Historic basis?

Rebecca

No Subject

The musical as well as the book are rooted in true events that span from around the French revolution through till the revolution of 1832. The actual fighting that takes place in the musical is the revolution of 1832, a real revolution in France. Actually, Hugo was incredibly accurate with his historical events, its quite amazing!

dennis

Victor Hugo

to todd:<br><br>Hugo's other books give mention to a short insurrection during the reign of<br>king louis-phillipe, about 1830-32. the author was there, i believe, as a journalist, (maybe freelance), and some biographies just might mention that<br>time in his life. the characters in the book itself may have ficticious names,<br>but that is not to say they were not based on people Hugo came in contact with at that time. he had a passion for detail, as is shown in Les Miserables and Notre Dame de Paris. i love his work!

Todd Babbert

Historic basis?

<br> I saw the musical last weekend and I was wondering if the period of the story has historic basis (the revolutionary atmosphere) or if it is completely fictitious? I looked up the French Revolution and found that it began in 1789, 26 years before the beginning of the musical's story.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Todd

Exclamation

Todd,

The period if 1830-1848 saw numerous revolutions in France. The one referred to in Hugo's book actually happened! It took place on 5-6 of June, 1832.

Here's a link that might be of interest to you:

http://www3.uakron.edu/hfrance/reviews/simoni.html

Hope this help!

All the best,

Justin