Thread: Of course, about this book

C.I.A.(which stands for C. Iulia-Andra)

Of course, about this book

I read it in September (2002) and I can say it is the best book I have ever read. It's true that I like reading THICK novels, but this time it wasn't about the size. I loved all the action and all the characters. Jean Valjean impressed me, as well as Enjolras. I learnt at the Romanian class that the sublime reffers to the fear and the admiration that the reader feels for the character. Well, then these two are sublime.<br> Enjolras is a hero, is the warlike angel. He fought till his death, continuing the French Revolution. <br> Jean Valjean is the powerful, but the very mild and righteous man who is willing to risk his freedom and even his life to save the others.He risked to be recognized by Javert when he helped Fauchelevent, threw away his freedom when he saved the man called Champmathieu. Don't forget he saved Marius's life.<br> Marius is the romantic type who perceives life like a dream. He only gets up from dream this when he is in the situation of separating Cosette from Jean Valjean.<br> Cosette is the inocent girl who only knows about her love, but who does not forget about her father.<br> The thing that most impressed me was the end. If you compare it to the rest of Jean Valjean's life you'll see what a special effect it has. This thing is suggested by the title of the 363rd chapter. It's very impressive how such a powerful man was defeated by a sentiment, and how he became so weak. Of course, I'm not reffering to phisycal strenth.<br> Surely I'm boring you. So, I'll end it. But first, I want to tell you:<br> 'Read it! It's a very good book!' <br> I've read it in one month during school time.<br> I'm sure you'll like it.

I read it a year ago. Great book! But one problem I found was that there are too many coincidences in the novel. And another was that it was too verbose to be enough, like his other famous works. On the whole, it is great and I enjoy its opera version, especially the song 'Do you hear the people sing'. But can anyone provide me with a direct link where I can download 'master of the house', another piece from the opera ?
    One has only one destiny,
    He can not choose it.

I loved this book. Such an excellent book. For those who are not acquainted with Hugo's works, I suggest the abridged version.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    I loved this book. Such an excellent book. For those who are not acquainted with Hugo's works, I suggest the abridged version.
    I would suggest to read the whole version. Only then it is possible to get full impression.

Which figure do you like best in the novel?
    Mine is Jean Valjean. Such a dark fate he has!
    He can not choose it.

You can guess who my favorite character is

Well, it's Javert of course. But what makes you like that stone-hearted man? Hugo definitely did a good work in building up the character Javert. But he is not someone you would sympathise with, isn't he?
    And another question:
    what do you think will happen if Javert didn't commit suicide? Jean Valjean will be arrested-back behind bars-he would think that Cosette and Marius will make a happy couple-but decide to break the prison in order to go back to have a last look at them when he knew he was dying. This is my storyline.
    What about yours?
    He can not choose it.

I have asked myself this question before. I like Javert's inexorable zeal for work. I'm definitely sorry for him because he does not see anything except his work and the sacred rules/laws which he follows. However, I respect his belief in the aim to destroy all criminals and to establish justice everywhere. I don't see Javert as "a bad guy", he just does his job with no questions.

Your story line sounds real. But, besides all the reasons, Javert commited suicide because he doubted if his all principles were right. So if he had just stayed alive and thought of himself, who knew what could happen next?