Thread: revenge

revenge

*** SPOILERS ***

I thought it was clever the way the count repaid all his betrayers in their own coin.
    De Villefort, the state presector, was exposed as a criminal, and the father and husband of criminals.
    Fernand de Morcerf, the war hero, was exposed as a traitor, who shot himself after his son backed out of a duel with the count.
    Baron Danglars the banker and insider dealer, was driven bankrupt, then forced to go hungry, like the count's father had gone hungry.
    Caderouse was a low-life slinker, who never did anything openly. He was murdered by someone he tried to blackmail.
    Mercedes was punished a bit too, for not remaining true to the count's memory. Her punishment was to live alone.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Count of Monte Cristo is one of the fathers of the Brazilian soap opera.. Most of them are about revenge with a big "r".
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row