Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get your thrashing hands (or which ever limbs you prefer) ready

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    That 's something of French literature, those 'coincidences'... Apparently they like that kind of stuff in France. If you whatch their films, they also are built on that principle...
    I really don't see hos it's "something of french literature" but more of a particular literary style which has swept much broader cultural and geographical area than France, Russia being a good example.

I read Les Miserables just this past summer. However, I read an abridged version. I liked it so much that I'm contemplating buying a hardcover unabridged version! I'm rather young (16), but I finished it in three weeks.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    I really don't see hos it's "something of french literature" but more of a particular literary style which has swept much broader cultural and geographical area than France, Russia being a good example.
    Maybe that was indeed a rash comment... I haven't read so much Russian literature, as my first try had to be Dostoyevski and I couldn't even get the first 30 pages finished. I thought it depicted the boredom and uselessness of poor people in Russian society back then very well. So well that I decided to stop reading it, as the first book to be granted that honour. My university professor adored Russian literature though, so I got biassed and never tried anything else. Maybe I should try some of someone else...
    However this coincidence-thing is not very big in Dutch literature for example, and not so hot in German either I believe. Then again English has more of it.
    What I wanted to say is actually that not only then they loved it, but they still do now.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Multifaceted Obsessionist Bramblefox's Avatar
    Wandering the endless corridors of my mind
    I'm a junior in highschool, having read Les Mis several times (different versions) in the past six months or so. What got me interested in it was the fact that I am on this art website and some of my favorite artists use character from Les Mis on a regular basis. THerefore I thought I'd better read up and look it up and stuff...well let's just say I've been driving my family nuts with this new obsession. Between the book and the musical I might get myself driven out of the house...
    A writer is never uninspired. They're just too lazy to sit down and write.--Artoveli (edited accordingly)
    Do you hear the people sing?
    "I don't have much call for handkerchiefs, my dear...there are certain advantages, you see, in being without a nose." ~Erik

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm 17, reading it for the first time. Charles E. Wilbour's translation.
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

I just read the Count of monte cristo, and started on three musketeers. Les Mis is up next on the horizon. So the impression i'm getting from this book and the people who have read it is that if you hang tough and tackle the whole book, you're probably gonna love it; kinda like accomplishing a huge goal.

Anyone confirm or deny that? opinions?

ps, I bought the signet classics version the other day and it is a pretty formidable looking book to say the least, and I read my fair share of books lol

There are a few pretty boring parts in there; but they all provide background for the philosophy of Hugo about society.

If there is advise that can be given: by all means continue reading, even if you think that it is boring (which can bo on for 100 pages...).

Get yourself some explanation on Hugo and this thoughts, even wikipedia or other encyclopedias you can find that, because the things that happen make more sense that way.

Hope you enjoy it.

Do we see you on the Dumas-forum next?
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

There are a few pretty boring parts in there; but they all provide background for the philosophy of Hugo about society.

If there is advise that can be given: by all means continue reading, even if you think that it is boring (which can bo on for 100 pages...).

Get yourself some explanation on Hugo and this thoughts, even wikipedia or other encyclopedias you can find that, because the things that happen make more sense that way.

Hope you enjoy it.

Do we see you on the Dumas-forum next?
    I am looking forward to it quite a bit; i just hope i don't hype it up too much in my head beforehand lol

I consider Les Misérables as a fairly slow read.

To compare with Dumas, of whom you know the style: Dumas always has something going on. The Count of Monte Cristo is a little slower than The Three Musketeers, which stands never still, but still in The Count there is something in the background that is always there. (In Dumas' other books as well).

In Hugo that is not really the case. It can be about thoughts, history, whatever, and that is very interesting, but is radically different from Dumas who does not dwell on thoughts, but makes that clear through other means (very itelligently). Hugo has an admirable style, though, so those passages are well worth reading, but not strictly for the story of Jean Valjean, but for the story of teh misérables in general...

I consider Les Misérables as a fairly slow read.

To compare with Dumas, of whom you know the style: Dumas always has something going on. The Count of Monte Cristo is a little slower than The Three Musketeers, which stands never still, but still in The Count there is something in the background that is always there. (In Dumas' other books as well).

In Hugo that is not really the case. It can be about thoughts, history, whatever, and that is very interesting, but is radically different from Dumas who does not dwell on thoughts, but makes that clear through other means (very itelligently). Hugo has an admirable style, though, so those passages are well worth reading, but not strictly for the story of Jean Valjean, but for the story of teh misérables in general...
    yes i have noticed that with 3 musketeers, it has more action and also it seems wittier than monte cristo, or at least a lighter atmosphere with more funny parts and the like. it definitely makes for a quicker read so far

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12