• *Very poor. Wouldn't recommend it

3 12.50%
  • **Didn't like it much

2 8.33%
  • ***Average

5 20.83%
  • ****It is a good read

9 37.50%
  • *****Like it very much. would strongly recommend it.

5 20.83%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcher in the Rye

smeghead
    I wanted to get a discussion going on how Holden thinks. You know, he sorta sounds a bit trapped, but is he really? Anyway, I like 'em. fool-what's an aim profile anyways?
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Originally posted by Koa
    Why? The quotes are nice, I like to find quotes in books and I thought it was nice fay put hers...If u were referring to that.
    I like to find quotes too, but I wasn't referring to that post specifically. Nevermind .
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    fayefaye- an aim profile is uh... well first I should say what aim is...

It stands for Aol Instant Messenger. (I like msn better but my friends are all on aim)... anyways.. Aim gives you a place to talk about whatever... most people have quotes or say who they are... and they call it the aim profile.
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

Grand Equal of Heaven
    To state the obvious - Holden doesn't want to grow up but feels it's too late and that he has to, and despises the corruption of the world he's awakened to. He wants to protect kids from the faults of adults, like the word "****" written all over Phoebe's school. He wants to catch all of the kids before they fall, maybe to stop them from having to grow up.
    For some reason, I always interpreted the catcher in the rye as a psychologist. My English teacher frowned when I told him that.
    "Do I dare disturb the universe?"

- T.S. Eliot

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by fayefaye

one of my fave things about it-it makes fun of Dickens.[delightful].
    I'll state the obvious first- I think Salinger's books are great- thogh I prefer the Glass books to Catcher. Catcher IS a favourite read though.
    But faye, I never noticed the "makes fun of Dickens" bit- or am I forgetting something? Are we talking content or style here? I'm intrigued- information, please!
    Sindhu.
    I'm nobody, who are you?
    Are you nobody too?
    There's a pair of us, don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know!

How dreary to be somebody!

smeghead
    like at the start when he refers to 'all that David Copperfield kind of crap', he also makes another reference to Dickens books later, can't pinpoint it now though. Might try to track it down later. I think it was a reference to Great Expectations, but can't remember at the moment.

Munro- I love your interpretation of it. The significance of the whole 'catcher in the rye' thing is something else I wanted to discuss.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Grand Equal of Heaven
    Holden doesn't "diss" Dickens. I haven't read it and probably won't for a long time to come, but 'David Copperfield' begins with a really long introduction of family pasts and related stories that occurred before the story, it probably goes on for a chapter. So Holden begins the story without a long Dickensian introduction, not necessarily denouncing the novel. Just rejecting it's style.
    "Do I dare disturb the universe?"

- T.S. Eliot

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    uh... no... you misunderstood.... he didn't start out with a dickensian introduction... he starts out saying he hates stupidly long introductions like the one in David Copperfield.
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

Seated in a very full bath, reading a four-year-old letter
    Originally posted by imthefoolonthehill
    I got Catcher in the Rye for Christmas too... and have the same plans... if I can ever get through that *#%&@*(%& Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)... it is so dry, it could soak up the pacific.
    Halfway through Catcher, but it's competing with two other books (not counting reading for class) for my attention. I'm falling in love with it all over again, though.

I understand and sympathize with you on Scarlet Letter. It's tough going, and I realized yesterday it's on the syllabus for one of my classes, so I'll be reading it again later this semester. I think I may enjoy it more now knowing the characters and themes going into it... and I also think Dimesdale (sp?) is one of the most interesting characters in fiction. But hopefully it'll be more, uh, interesting this time.
    "To get straight to the worst, what I'm about to offer isn't really a short story at all but a sort of prose home movie..."

Memories of the Future

smeghead
    Originally posted by imthefoolonthehill
    uh... no... you misunderstood.... he didn't start out with a dickensian introduction... he starts out saying he hates stupidly long introductions like the one in David Copperfield.
    yeah-exactly. And the problem with Dickens is that he's boring and VERBOSE. (hehe faye's unresolved issues with Dickens)
    (Mark Twain)

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    i like dickens
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

I avoided Dickens for years, then last summer finally faced up to him. He beat my a$$. No, seriously I doff my cap to him - I love characters like the Aged in Great Expectations, they are very original and very strange. I think that Great Expectations is a masterpiece and SO not boring. He was obviously fettered by the needs of weekly publication and is prone to melodrama - but his reputation is founded on his unique imagination and confirmed by prose like at the end of A Tale Of Two Cities.

Originally posted by crisaor
    I like to find quotes too, but I wasn't referring to that post specifically. Nevermind .
    Ok i wasnt sure infact...

I know I underlined some sentences when i read it... I might quote them here but I'd have to translate them roughly...

I love when he says soemthing like 'don't tell anyone anything, otherwise you'd miss everyone'... or something like that...It's so true somehow...
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by IWilKikU
    i like dickens
    I LIKE DICKENS!
    You really can't stand him, can you faye, Catcher is one of my favourite books, but I never picked on the Dickens angle as particularly important! Trust you to spot it!
    I'm nobody, who are you?
    Are you nobody too?
    There's a pair of us, don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know!

How dreary to be somebody!

smeghead
    hehe. I was teasing kik about dickens earlier-hence the tiny print. Here, I'll get more quotes for you to devour-
    'Certain things they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone. I know that's impossible, but it's too bad anyway.'

'Game, my *ss. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all tight - I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game.'

I HAVE to ask, do american's REALLY spell goodbye 'good-by'?? THAT'S CRAZY.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast