• *Very poor. Wouldn't recommend it

3 12.50%
  • **Didn't like it much

2 8.33%
  • ***Average

5 20.83%
  • ****It is a good read

9 37.50%
  • *****Like it very much. would strongly recommend it.

5 20.83%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcher in the Rye

It's by Ken Kesey if I'm not mistaken and understand you wanted the author of the One Fly Over the Cuckoo's Nest...
    I have a plan: attack!

Seated in a very full bath, reading a four-year-old letter
    Originally posted by imthefoolonthehill
    As a 16-year-old, I object. I have, like, a big vocabulary, dude!

By the way... Catcher in the Rye is a wonderful and inspiring book.

While the writing style may grow tiresome for some people, I believe it adds to the tone, as well as defining the style of the writing. It helps create the image of a teenager who doesn't give a **** about tradition or conformity. In fact, he hates all the phoniness around him. All the high-horsed freaks who talk like Harding from One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest display phoniness in their language whereas Holden shows that we needn't use words no one understands to appear smart.

Oh... P.S. I love his ideas on Phoniness... it REALLY IS all around us.
    Thank gawd that there's at least one illuminating post on this whole thread. I was hoping for some interesting discussion on this controversial book, but alas, none is to be found.

And the thing is, I can't really add much to it. Obviously I prefer Salinger's Franny and Zooey, but I'd consider Catcher to be one of my favorite books as well. Problem is, I read it so long ago I don't really remember a whole lot of specifics. I do agree, as a teenager, that this is a book that tends to speak to teens more than any other age group. Holden embodies those of us who dare to break the mold and search for something deeper than the superficiality most teenagers (and people in general) are content to live their lives in. He may not be the best or the brightest or the most eloquent, but damn it, he's trying. Just for that I think he's one of the most fascinating characters in all of fiction.

Actually, I just received a copy of this book (the awesome reprint of the first edition) for Christmas, and was planning on giving it another look over Christmas break. Will add some thoughts when that actually happens.

Originally posted by Dick Diver
    His other published work is excellent too - I do hope he has been writing all these decades and not just masturbating or something.....
    Hmm... never really thought about this. It would be interesting (and wonderful) if after his passing (God forbid) a bunch of his work suddenly surfaces a la Kafka. Hopefully the man has been writing all this time.

And if he has been masturbating this whole time, hopefully at least he's enjoyed himself and feels that it was worth it in the end.
    "To get straight to the worst, what I'm about to offer isn't really a short story at all but a sort of prose home movie..."

Memories of the Future

smeghead
    All us teens should gather together to overthrow the stupid image that Nic has given to youth. And, yeah, I like the phoniness idea too. I've probably come across far worse phonies than Holden has.
    Last edited by fayefaye; 12-29-2003 at 05:54 AM.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    Thanks for the compliment on my post, Zooey...

I got Catcher in the Rye for Christmas too... and have the same plans... if I can ever get through that *#%&@*(%& Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)... it is so dry, it could soak up the pacific.
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

smeghead
    Why don't you throw it into the ocean and see what happens?
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Don't do it Fool!!!!! OMG what if it really soaks up the pacific?

Jonus
    Whatever happened to peace on earth?

smeghead
    lol. then I can make my trek to the US.
    (Mark Twain)

lol... I finally finished that... and I think you can start walking anytime, fayefaye

fame and facts

i was drawn to the book by its big fame as the most important book of the most important author so taken by many americans, for a reason i believe, that's their hero of their time. but for the style and language, forget it...

Originally posted by fayefaye
    All us teens should gather together to overthrow the stupid image that Nic has given to youth. And, yeah, I like the phoniness idea too. I've probably come across far worse phonies than Holden has.
    who is nic? Not the author... not Colden Haulfield... who?

smeghead
    never mind. hey, looks like it's time for my random quotes!

'I'm sort of glad they've got the atomic bomb invented. If there's ever another war, I'm going to sit right the hell on top of it. I'll volunteer for it, I swear to God I will'

'It's hopeless, anyway. If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'F*ck you' signs in the world. It's impossible'

'I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say 'Holden Caulfield' on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say 'F*ck you.' I'm positive, in fact.'

Don't know why I chose those....
    (Mark Twain)

You know, just because AbdoRinbo is gone, you don't have to fill his "pointless replies" void.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Why? The quotes are nice, I like to find quotes in books and I thought it was nice fay put hers...If u were referring to that.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

I liked those quotes so much... they are going into my aim profile.

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    those are great quotes. Good call Faye.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast