A World Lit By Fire

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    I really like the work of Dumas, but I have not read that book yet. I have read The Three Musketeers and 20 Years After, both I have loved. I need to read the next book in the series but I cannot find it anywhere I look so I think I may have to just end up reading it online.
  2. themiddleprince
    themiddleprince
    Hello all

Maybe it's a new thread, but what is it about a historical setting (and yes, I mean at least pre-20th Century, for myself preferably pre 1700) that makes a genre that doesn't grab us - in my case "murder mystery" - suddenly riveting?

I've never really been into "whodunnits", but I love the Matthew Shardlake books by C.J. Sansom, which really place me in the 1500s when they're set. I do wonder if farther historical settings for mysteries are a deliberate escape from Agatha Christie and upper class dinner party murders!

Or is the genre irrelevant beyond the historical setting? "Hey Ivor, here's a book about a 14 year old girl coming of age..." No thanks. "Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant?" Yes please, sumptuous.

The Shardlake books, incidentally, really place me in the early 1500s when they're set, while Dunant's writing is more about the people and some of the temporal placing is a bit technical.

And yes, my signature below [if it's there...] is a bit of a plug, and obviously I'd love some of you to read The Middle Prince. I would have to say that while I might aspire to Sansom's evocation of the mediaeval period I suspect it's nearer to Dunant's approach - and there's even a nod to murder mystery at one point..!

Plug aside, does anyone else find a historical setting makes an otherwise unwelcome style or genre suddenly palatable?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234