Classic Films

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
  1. Jozanny
    mt: Netflix just sent me Double Indemnity. Did I mention I have a major Netflix crush now and spent the last week gobbling up foreign art films? If anyone would like something really strange, try the Swedish release, Let The Right One In. I think it is the most radicalized use of vampirism I have ever watched, or read about, for that matter.

I have been remiss here too, but came in to mention I never knew Vincent Price really did Shakespeare, but my digital channel is about to show him doing Richard 3 in Tower of London. Of the R3 films I know, my favorite is the one set in WW2 Nazi England, but I will call up some data on that later.
  2. Jozanny
    I just thought of a qualification to what I wrote about Let The Right One In. There is also Cronos, which I have in my queue, and cannot wait to see again, but is listed as unknown, in availability, which also makes use of vampire conceits in distinctive ways, but Cronos is a fantastical film, in the tradition of magical realism. Let The Right One In is a very different viewing experience, and rather haunting. I have read a couple of excellent critical reviews, and thinking of doing one myself even if I cannot get paid in the attempt. It is not exceedingly graphic, but not for kids, despite that it centers around children, and takes their unhappiness seriously, but it isn't quite for the faint hearted either, and plays its horror motifs straight, for the most part. The critics are preoccupied with what it means, and now I know why. Did I mention I love Netflix?

Sorry for the digression, but I love foreign films more than Hollywood manufactures, for the most part.

I'll be quiet now
  3. Michael T
    Michael T
    No need to be quiet Jozanny, this group has been too quiet as it is! I know the Richard III you mean. The one with Sir Ian McKellen in the lead roll. Your right Jozanny, It's very good. From what you say about enjoying World Cinema (I got told off for saying 'foreign films') I'm sure you would like 'Pan's Labyrinth'. Have you seen it? If not, you should check it out.
  4. Maryd.
    Maryd.
    You are right Michael T, this forum has been too quiet. I was beginning to think everyone had fallen asleep.
  5. Jozanny
    One quick comment about Double Indemnity: I am not sure Stanwyck fully inhabits her role as much as McMurray and Robinson inhabit theirs, but in all fairness, the script departs from the novel in certain key aspects, and probably has to, if anyone remembers the ending of the book. She is one of my favorite studio actresses from that era though.
  6. Dinkleberry2010
    Hi all
    I just joined and wanted to say that I am a classic film nut (I am especially into silent films).
  7. Maryd.
    Maryd.
    Hey Jer, then you would be familiar with Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton...
  8. Jozanny
    If anyone can think of any classic films that would be relevant to my blog on disability arts, I am open to suggestion, and in fact might blast Dark Victory into the deep blue sea, in all its incarnations, he ha! Most of the terminal illness films are rotten eggs in my book, and that includes the terminal illness that turns out to be a mistake variety.

One of the few exceptions is the Kevin Kline terminal cancer build a house and heal my son film, Life As A House. It is very funny, and doesn't belabor the use of its tropes.
  9. Liddell
    Liddell
    First things to come to mind with terminal illness films are of course Terms of Endearment, and then probably Dying Young or Stepmom (although those aren't exactly classic). My favorite would be Never Say Die, but although it's funny too he's not actually sick so I don't know what you could do with that. Other than that, I can't be of much help. You're right, most terminal illness films aren't that great.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112