The Bible

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
  1. motherhubbard
    motherhubbard
    Yesterday we talked about the authority of Christ. This is a summary of that discussion.

Matthew 17:5 God says,”...Hear ye Him.”

Matthew 28:18 Christ says, “all power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.”

Matthew 7:21 Christ says, “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my father which is in heaven.”

John 14:15 Christ says, “If you love Me, keep my commandments.”

Matthew 16:18 Christ says, “I will build my church”

Ephesians 5:23 Paul explains, “... Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body.”

In Ephesians 1:22-23 the church is also called the body

1 Corinthians 12:1 Paul explains that we are baptized into the body.

He we see that God commands that we listen to Jesus who has been given authority over heaven and earth. We must obey him and do what he commands. The church belongs to Christ and he is the master of it. The church is the body and we are added to it through baptism.
  2. ShadowFire
    ShadowFire
    Neat. Thank you for sharing with us. That hard thing is not rebelling against the authority even though it is in our nature.
  3. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    Do you ever feel like the world has gotten you down? Do you feel that THEY are winning? This world, it's evil prince, Satan, and all of his minions do not have the power that you have in your grasp. See the words that were given to Joshua after he had taken over the leadership of the Israelites. It was entrusted to him to take the people into the Promised Land, however the people were afraid.

Joshua 1:9, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

As Paul was writing to Timothy at a time the he knew that he was passing the baton on to Timothy and others, he encouraged Timothy to be strong.

2 Timothy 1:6-7, "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

Ezekiel commanded the dry bones to live, and by the power of the Lord they were able. We have a Lord who is ALL powerful, and the Word that can cut like a two edged sword, even to the bone and marrow. I'd like to encourage a discussion of Scripture and experiences to combat Satan's weapon called Discouragement.

4. motherhubbard
    motherhubbard
    In times past I have had a real struggle with discouragement and worry. I really appreciate these thoughts. I have found that as I mature I do not struggle as I once did. Maybe my faith has grown or maybe I have lived enough to see firsthand how all things work together for good.

I find that I most always relate what ever thought is presented to what I'm currently reading. I read in James last night as I often do when I'm finished with a study and not sure where to start nest. James is one of my favorites so I often revisit it. Prayer is the major theme throughout the entire book. He also discusses our own mindset and motivations.

I think that prayer is a valuable tool to protect against discouragement. For one thing it turns our mind toward God and his will. Discouragement often comes when we think of ourselves and our needs and desires. God knows our needs and desires. If we leave ourselves to the care of God and instead focus on what we need to be doing it may help guard against discouragement. I want to add to that this scripture 1 Cor. 3:6 “I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.” We must do what we are commanded and God will take care of the rest. We should not be so concerned with what we want, others negative views of our efforts, or how bad things are. We should focus instead on humble obedience to and compliance with the scripture.

I realize that this is probably not the direction you were going, but it's what came to mind after rereading James. I'm sure I'll be thinking on these things as I read 1 Timothy today. thanks for posting.
  5. ShadowFire
    ShadowFire
    Thanks guys. It is nice to have a encouraging place to go sometimes.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011