Finding one's self under oppression

1. Clara Salberg
    Clara Salberg
    I picked up Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie the other day and have almost finished it.

Adichie creates a portal to understanding racism in America and the UK and the situation for Africans who go to live in these two countries.
    The sharpness of the truth rings clear in Ifemelu's descriptions of race and racism in America and in Obinze's desolate situation in the UK, giving a vivid account of how life is for illegal immigrants. The toll it takes on a person to go through the different aspects of moving to a foreign country and being discriminated against, ostracised, treated as a burden. With a variety of different individual responses (Compare Emenike and Ifemelu!). The liberation of oneself through defiance towards oppressing structures. The characters navigates themselves in a world that tries to force discriminatory ideas of her identity upon her, tackling feelings of alienation, hopelessness, immense exhaustion, frustration, etc.

Adichie skilfully creates characters that are colourful, inspirational and intriguing. A definite page-turner, the suspense of love stories and acute worries about ones life situation intertwined.

To me, personally, this book is also an immense pleasure to read because of the interesting lives and careers, the rebelliousness, the academic lifestyles, the descriptions of daily encounters and routines (coconut rice and Nina Simone, gimme!) and the sophistication of the character's insights and observations. The book's educates on all matters life.

Another thing I want to praise Adichie on is the incredibly on-point contrasting of American and English and Nigerian life/accent/manner/personality and so forth, how she, through her characters, points out cultural significance and differences.

Anyone who has read it? If you haven't I strongly suggest you do, no matter who you are, this book is one of those that everyone needs to read!