The Melian dialogues

1. PurelyPlatonic
    PurelyPlatonic
    Recently I read "The Landmark of Thucydides", I know, a history text and not a philosophical one necessarily, but there was a passage during the Athenian discussion with Melos where the Athenians stated, "The strong do what they can, the weak do what they must". This seems to be a Nietzschian perspective, and I suppose the most frustrating part about this passage is that I cannot seem to make a very solid, logical argument against the idea that strong men can create their own concept of justice. I would appreciate any help that I could get.
  2. sunaychowdhury
    sunaychowdhury
    Strength is not a chauvinistic prowess. It is not brawn only. It is vigour and character. Justice of the Athenian tale is of valour and bravado. You can only administer justice if you are a person of strong character which this tale does not highlight as much as barbarity and brute force which may not necessarily entail righteousness. Justice between equals is that you have to command a strong character to be gifted mercy like Alexander gave King Porus of India when he came to conquer India. He exercised justice because the Indian King commanded it. To annihilate the meek for want of strong character is indeed very chauvinistic, unethical and immoral.