On Broadway

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Janine
    Janine
    Thanks to the person who invited me! I love "Les Miserables" and "Phantom of the Opera" and had the priviledge of seeing both live, first in Philadelphia and second in New York City. Both were amazing! I also own the soundtrack to Miss Saigon and love it, although I have never seen the actual show. I heard all good things about the show. I think that I once read it is the more modern day Asian version on the same storyline as "Madame Butterfly"; is that correct? I have "Madame Butterfly" on DVD and love it. I love to collect soundtrack recordings of shows, films and operas. I also, years ago, saw "Cabaret" and "Camelot" in NYC and "George M" in Philadephia. I will have to recall which other shows I have seen in the past.

Thanks again for inviting me and I am looking forward to hearing about all of your experiences, likes and interests in the subject.
  2. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    Recently I was at a friend's house for a Bible study, but soon after the study was over I randomly mentioned that I had taken the opportunity to see a local HS production of Les Miserables. The play was excellently performed (well beyond a High School level). What I hadn't expected from the conversation though was that these friends also loved the Broadway productions as much as I did. Two of the productions discussed were Les Miserables (of course) and Jekyll & Hyde. I thought that it was interesting that two of my friends could probably sing the words of these musicals as well as I can (we're talking the memorization of the words, not the quality of the singing ). It is such a small world.

One of my favorite pieces done by the character Valjean in Les Miserables...Who AM I? If you haven't read any of the book (you can read it on-line here on LitNet, you must read about the internal struggle that Valjean had... "If I speak, I am condemned...if I stay silent, I am damned!"

To be lost in this world between what's right, and what's convenient...
  3. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    This does so well in describing the past life of Valjean in society. http://www.online-literature.com/vic...miserables/22/

At the beginning of "Who Am I?", Valjean had escaped his fate of a life being on parole and was enjoying the life as the prestigious Mayor. He had the chance to let a poor innocent soul to take his place in chains, but he knew that it would result to an eternity in chains in hell. In the book before he went to the trial to confess, he returned to his room, removed a false wall to retrieve that which bought him from his life of crime...a silverware set, two candle silver sticks, and a 40 sous piece.

He thinks that man is me, he knew him at a glance.
    (Javert thinks that Champmathieu, a man charged with breaking Valjean's parole, is the convict 24601)
    This stranger he has found, this man could be my chance.
    (Valjean contemplating letting Champthieu take his place in prison for breaking his parole.)
    Why should I save his hide? Why should I right this wrong?
    When I have come so far, struggled for so long?

(After leaving Petit Gervais, a young boy who had dropped his 40 sous piece along the road which Valjean confiscated under his foot while dazed by the Bishop's compassion, Valjean, by stroke of luck or the hand of God, saved two children from a fire giving him hero status. He then was about to work his way to be factory owner and chief source of this town's income. He then became Le Mayor)
    If I speak, I am condemned...if I stay silent, I am damned.........
    (If he reveals his secret, which is the only way to acquit Champthieu, he will return to prison in much worse shape then he was previously in, but if he does not, then he will have to answer to God.)
  4. MissScarlett
    Thanks for creating the group, BienvenuJDC, and glad you're here, Janine!

Honestly, I've never read nor seen "Les Miserables!" I know that's terrible, but I do have a movie version I'll watch, maybe today, so I at least know the gist of things. And I have my "abridged" book of more than 1,000 pages. I've heard so many good things about "Les Miserables."

My favorite play/musical is "Phantom of the Opera," but I've never seen it on Broadway.
  5. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    Introduction

Please tell us (no need to tell us your name)...and tell us your favorite musical(s) and whether you've only heard the CD or if you have seen the musical in person and where...
  6. LadyWentworth
    LadyWentworth
    Well, I guess I could go first. I have an insane collection of cast recording CD's. So, needless to say, I have seen less musicals live than I have the music of the shows. My favorites seem to change based on my mood, but my top 5 is always my top 5. I will give you my current top 10, though.

10. Les Miserables (I've seen this twice)
    9. Passion (CD only)
    8. Camelot (saw this once)
    7. Crazy for You (saw this one a few years ago)
    6. Jersey Boys (CD - I am desperate to see this one!)
    5. 1776 (CD only)
    4. The Scarlet Pimpernel (CD only)
    3. Big River (just the CD - another show I am dying to see)
    2. Sweeney Todd (saw it once - years ago)
    1. The Phantom of the Opera (seen it twice and I might go again this summer)

I saw all of these here, in Milwaukee. For any of those musicals that have been filmed for PBS, and for the movie theaters, I have seen all of those, but I suppose that can't count because they weren't live, right?

By the way, Janine, you're right. "Miss Saigon" is based on "Madame Butterfly". Do you remember how you liked "George M"? I love George M. Cohan! Great music!
  7. MissScarlett
    ALW's The Phantom of the Opera is my all time favorite. I've never seen it on Broadway.
  8. LadyWentworth
    LadyWentworth
    Too bad that you can't see one of the major touring companies. They are the exact same thing as seeing it on Broadway. The sets, costumes, and even direction (yes, Harold Prince) are all the same. I suppose that if I were in NYC I would go see "Phantom" there just because I would feel that I have to. But my main goal is still to see the Vegas one now.

So, how do you feel about the "Phantom" sequel?

I found out that ALW will be composing the music for "The Wizard of Oz" stage show. Actually, the stage version of TWOO is essentially the film on stage. It has been around for awhile now (it will be here in June and I was considering going to see it). I guess he will be composing more songs (i.e. one for the witch, and others like that). If you think about it, even though the music is quite memorable, it is very simplistic in terms of composition. Do you think ALW will be able to add music into a show that he had not written and make it sound as if it were meant to be there? He is my favorite theater composer, and he has written some "simpler" music, but nothing like "If I Only Had a Brain". I am just wondering if he is going to be capable of writing music that will "fit" in alongside Harold Arlen's music. As if it were meant to be there.
  9. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    I read the book almost 10 years ago when it was first written. The book, The Phantom of Manhattan, by Frederick Forsyth is the storyline that ALW is following. Follow this link to read more about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_of_Manhattan

I enjoyed the book, but the author is not Gaston Leroux. Fortunately for us the composer of The Phantom: Love Never Dies is still Andrew Lloyd Webber!!
  10. Janine
    Janine
    LadyWentworth, I found your list of recording interesting; most I heard of, but not all. I too have tons of soundtrack recordings from both movies and musicals. I guess I need to get my storage box open and list the ones I own; but no time, to do so tonight.

I agree with you, touring companies are great. I want to add that outdoor theater in round or otherwise and summerstock theater groups can be very good, too; I have seen some semi-professional plays I simply adored. I went many a time to productions in tents as a young adolescent. Ones I recall are these:

Haddonfield Summer Music Threater

Westside Story ~ starring Richard Chamberlain; he was amazing and who would think he would play this role? He walked right down the isle and was a foot away from me. I was in seventh heaven; since he was a major crush at the time. Maria was played by Anna Marie Albergetti (sp?). She was amazing, too. What a voice!

Jesus Christ Superstar ~ eludes my memory as to the cast; all I know is it was great!

Oklahoma! ~ staring Fess Parker; remember Davy Crocket on TV; 50's, 60's Disney? Another kid crush. It was grand.

La Salle Summer (stock) Theater

Man of La Mancha ~ one of the stars was my best guy friend from college and he was incredible. The whole production was very well done.

Another old-time musical; can't recall the name now, but will insert it if it comes to me.

Local theater groups

Ritz Theater in NJ

Sound of Music ~ semi professional and truly excellent cast. I was impressed. Hey, you have to start somewhere. Another friend, with an exquisite voice, was in this one. I was impressed.

Haddon Heights Theater Group ~ semi professional and local

Brigadoon (sp? - help LWentworth! I can't spell)

Evita ~ wonderful production and sold out auditorium. I have to say I saw the same show in Philadephia with professionals, but I liked this one better. It was incredible and the guy who played Che I am hoping went on to fame. He certainly had a ton of talent.

In Philadephia ~ professional:

George M ~ starring Joel Gray. That had to be at least 35 yrs ago now! eek...
    LadyWentworth, I simply loved it and so did my friends who all went to see it with me. It was a great experience and terrific memory of a great night out.

A Chorus Line ~ I'm not sure now who played the lead. I will have to locate my Playbills and looks these details up. I loved the show!

Wow, counting the ones I mentioned prior to these (see my other post), I saw quite a few; surprising. I think there were more, but it will take time to recall all of them.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast