The Bible

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    Who is this God - Jehovah?
    In the beginning, God created...
    Moses opens his first writings to an audience who knew that there was a God. He then provided information that had not previously been provided to these people (the descendants of Abraham in 1500 BC - not to be known as Jews for 1000 years in 586 BC). They were about 4-5 generations from their patriarch Abraham, who knew God personally.

In the beginning, God (Elohim) - not one Person, but three...
    The Hebrew word for God in this context is 'Elohim.' 'El' is the singular form of God as is found in many names (Ezeki-el, Dani-el, etc). Abram, was the father of a nation, but when he became Ab-raham, he was known as, the father of many nations plural. But if you don't understand the Hebrew plural form (ending in -him or -ham, that's okay, just look at the 26th verse of the 1st chapter. "Let Us make man in Our own image."

Therefore, in the discussion in this group, any reference to God should be assumed to be the God of Abraham. God includes, either the combined or individual, of the Father, the Son, and/or the Spirit.

If you do not agree that this adequately describes God, that is okay, but do not make it a point of discussion in this group. You are free to create your own group, or threads outside of this group for that discussion.
  2. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    The Bible is the inspired word of God. According to its own claim, (2 Timothy 3:16) it is inspired, or theopneustos - God-breathed. There is much evidence, both internal and external, that establishes that the Book could not have been written by mere men without the influence of God. God told them what to write. According to 2 Peter 1:21, holy men of God were moved by the Spirit.

The book has both authority and application in our lives. We can use it as a guide as we build our faith in God and His message.
  3. andave_ya
    andave_ya
    hm, this one hasn't gone anywhere has it??
    Well, I'm a Christian - and I agree with what you said about the divine inspiration of the Bible. It's interesting though, to see how different people have interpreted it. As Dostoevsky said (I paraphrase) God is too wonderful and too hard to attribute to a whim of humanity .
  4. MissyRobbins
    MissyRobbins
    I just joined your group, and just wanted to say god bless you and yours.
  5. ShadowFire
    ShadowFire
    I also say God bless all of you. When talking to non-believers, I find it interesting how difficult a concept it is for them to grasp the "God inspired". Even some Christians have difficulty with this. I would like to clarify with you, BeinvenuJDC, that you believe in the entire Bible completely. I do and I have determined that it is almost impossible to believe just parts of it. If you just believe in parts, how do you determine which is truth? Such conflicts I am presented with.
  6. Regina61285
    Regina61285
    hi everyone
  7. BienvenuJDC
    BienvenuJDC
    ShadowFire,
    You pose a good question. Without getting too in depth to the study of Textual Criticisms I would like to point out that:
    A) The original manuscripts (i.e. the actual letters that Paul, or his scribe, hand wrote to the various churches, or the actual psalm that was written by the hand of David) were written perfectly by the guidance of Spirit of God.
    B) Our Bibles have been translated from several different texts (i.e. the Textus Receptus, the Majority Text, Nestle-Alan, etc.), but there are very few and minor differences in all the Scripture texts that we have. We do not have any of the original manuscripts, but we have enough to be sure what the Bible says.
    C) Although there are not any mistakes in the original manuscripts, there are various mistakes among the different versions. Some of the numerical translations from the Old Testament don't prove to be completely accurate, but the context leads to understand enough. If one is studying from various different translations, it can be understood what God is trying to tell us.

In saying that...I believe all parts of the Bible in their context. Although all of the Bible was written for our learning, not everything in the Bible is written directly to us. The instructions given to the Israelites for their sacrificial system and the ten commandments do not apply to us (however, Christ as our sacrificial Lamb and His two greatest commands does apply to us). I do not believe that the instructions concerning miraculous gifts apply to us as they did to the church in the first century (although some believe differently).

For example, the reason that I believe that the old system does not pertain to us:
    Colossians 2:13-14, And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
    Hebrews 10:1-4, For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

and another example concerning the passing of miraculous gifts:

1 Corinthians 13:8-10, Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
    Prophecies, tongues, and (miraculous) knowledge mentioned in the preceding chapter in the list of miraculous spiritual gifts are examples of all of the spiritual gifts passing away when the need for them is gone. The need for them was for the establishment and maturity of an infant church. When the church was established and mature, the "part" was done away with.

But without a doubt, I believe that the Levitical System was needed at the time, and without a doubt I believe that the miracles were done.

Please continue with questions and comments.
  8. Regina61285
    Regina61285
    Hey everyone! I have an interesting topic, or at least interesting for me. It's inspired in a W. Somerset Maugham's quotation: “What mean and cruel things men can do for the love of God”
  9. Regina61285
    Regina61285
    When I was reading about christian history I was shocked of how cruel and wicked people were while naming God as their master. What is more, nowadays, there are people who know everything about the Holy Scriptures but they don't follow it. I feel a deep rejection to those who look down at others just because the others drink, love going out or have a sexual life. Nobody is perfect, but we should focus more on merits than in defects, right?
  10. ShadowFire
    ShadowFire
    Well Regina I have a few thoughts for you (and Bienvenu please say your views as well). Christian history and violence....are you refering to the biblical accounts or history about the crusades. Biblically, when God commanded even His chosen people to kill it was for a reason. Many argue if the Israelites were Christian they would abide by the commandment "thou shall not murder". BUT those laws were given to man by God to guide them, but God being the creator of life has the right to take it and be above the law He created for man. If you look in the Old Testement when the Lord tells His people to attack other nations, He usually gives reasons and for the most part even gives the victums chances to repent.
    If you are refering to the violence in history, such as the crusades, this is some what similar. Leaders of the church claim that God has influenced them to go forth and attack. I must confess I know not enough to continue this part of the discussion.
    Yes, no one is perfect. But I ask you to consider a few things: 1) The new testement calls believers to strive to be like Jesus. We can never be exactly cause we are imperfect, but we should try to be perfect the best we can. 2) Claiming that "since we all sin anyway, it doesn't matter if I am doing this" is wrong. Sure, the blood of Jesus can clear any sin, but you can not properly be forgiven if you commit the sin with the thought "oh, I can sin cause Jesus will forgive me". 3) Those that are looking down on others could be doing two things. First they could themselves be not doing well with the concept Jesus shares with "do not remove the splinter in your brother's eye while a log resides in your own" (this translates to "do not correct others faults because you also are at fault). It is not our place to judge. The second thing they could be doing is trying to help, but not using the best ways. Sure there are many possiblities, but these are probably the two most common. I personally believe they shouldn't look down cause it is not the love that Jesus calls us all to have towards one another.
    It is important to give praise to ones who deserve it (with the due praise given to God for His divine touch in everything). But it is important to learn from defects and to improve.
    I hope this was helpful and answered your questions. If you have any more questions or need clarification, please let me know. And if anyone would like to add their thoughts, I am sure they are welcomed.

BienvenuJDC thank you for your words. I agree that many of the laws in the old testements are "thrown away" with the new. But some are restated in the new testement (if you would like me to provide scripture as example of my point let me know). I also believe that old testement laws (such as the Ten Commandments) are extremely important and the believers today should also regard them as still important to follow. In fact, I will go farther to say that it is impossible to have the love that Christ calls us to have in the Greatest Commandment, if you do not follow the Ten Commandments.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast