Magic and Mayhem

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Janine
    Janine
    All four are very nice. I love "Beauty and the Beast". I love Rackham's work; I just bought several books of his illustrations. I also bought the Kay Nielson illustration book and a large hardbound Mucha book.
  2. Virgil
    Virgil
    What great pictures Muse. This is why I love folklore. Everyone may start with the same subject, but human originalty and variation generates some fascinating notions.
  3. barbara0207
    barbara0207
    That's right, Virgil. Isn't it interesting how differently the artists see the beast but also the beauty. It's not only the (obvious) shape of the beasts but also the body language and facial expressions of both characters.
  4. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Though I have always enjoyed the story of the frog prince. I always thought it went against the grain of most fairy tales. As has been discussed, in their printed form most fairy tales contain a morality and lesson of some kind. And many tales relate to elements about "judging a book by its cover" Or being rewarded and breaking a curse through some good deed.

But in the Frog Prince, the young bratty princess seemed to be rewarded without actually learning a lesson. First she tries to run away from the promises she made and when she is confronted with it tries to denounce, it is only through her father's insistence that she begrudgingly and minimally lives up to her promise, and than at the end, she throws the frog into the wall and than he becomes a prince and marries her anyway.

But there really isn't anything redeeming or virtuosos about the princess of this story.

I am alwyas kind of dissapointed and surprsied by the end of that story becasue I exepct her to be reprimanded in someway for her behavior.

Gustaf Tenggren

Margret Evans Price

Carrie Ann Baade (I just had to include this surreal modern interpitation)
  5. Janine
    Janine
    Do you think the story prompted the line - "one has to kiss a lot of frogs, before you find your prince"?...I think I may have done so in my lifetime...I don't think I ever did find my prince...heck.

I like the wildest one of all the paintings - the last one - best. That is so bizzare looking. They are all very nice and interesting.
  6. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Yes, it is probably where the phrase came from. Though in the story she never truly kissess the frog, even though that and other expressions are often used.
  7. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Snow White is an old classic. Here is a collection of some representations of Snow White, including some modern interpitations. It was hard trying to find non-disney related images.

Roland Risse

Peter Newell

Warwick Goble

John Blumen

Simone M. Collins
  8. Janine
    Janine
    I love them all but especially the John Blumen...I will have to look that artist up.
  9. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Yes I have never heard of him before, just happend upon that image, I did find it interesting
  10. Janine
    Janine
    Here are two of his paintings which I found interesting - they are quite beautiful. I found his website online; apparently he is a recent/working illustrator. I will have to look up his bio in Wikipedia.

Beauty

John Blumen The Magician
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast