Pre-Raphaelite Society

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
  1. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Well when I get to reading Return of the Native, I will let you know what I think
  2. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Here are the works of Jane Benham Hay. I was surprised by how much of her work I was able to find.

Tobias restoring the Eyesight of Tobit

Dressing up (the Hay Thorburn children, Alison, Priscilla and William, dressed in elaborate and colourful costumes, plumed headresses and jewellery )

England and Italy
  3. Janine
    Janine
    DM, yes, let me know and we can compare notes. Interesting black and white picture - the middle one. Glad you could post a woman artist from the period.
  4. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Joanna May Boyce

Born in London in 1831. She showed artistic talent during her childhood and studied at Cary's. In 1855 she went to the studio of Thomas Couture to study but her stay was truncated by illness. She touerd France with portrait painter Henry Wells, who she later married. She died in 1861 after giving birth to her third child. Several of her important works were destroyed during World War II in the bombing of Bath.

Head of Mrs Eaton.

There is a great gallery of her works here, when I tried to post the images here, it just came up as boxes with x's but you can view more of her work at the site:

http://www.mystudios.com/women/abcde/boyce.html
  5. Janine
    Janine
    This is curioius, DM, I just happened to see this painting used for a cover on a book today. You must have ESP. Thanks for writing up something about the artist. How sad that some of her most important works were destroyed in WWII. I often think of how much art must have been lost and destroyed in wars...sad.
  6. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Hehe yes, I have a habbit of doing that.

It is quite misfortunate how many works of art are lost during war and other such events.
  7. Janine
    Janine
    Yes, we seem to have this strange ESP connection, DM.....hummm..maybe you have been casting spells on me....

Yes, very sad about lost art in war, earthquakes, etc...even antiquities and beautiful buildings - think of all that gorgeous architecture laying in a pile of rubble, not to even mention book burnings to deliberately whip out fine literary works. It all make me sick to to think of. Just glad much was saved and still exists from centuries back. I guess proves that 'nothing is permanent'.
  8. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Yes that is quite true, so much knowelge and art has been lost over the years
  9. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Elizabeth Siddal was an imporant figure in Rossetti's life and and under his influence she produced Pre-Raphaelite watercolours and drawings of a remarkable naive intensity.

She was tall and striking looking, with a pale skin and coppery-red hair, and was asked to sit for other Pre-Raphaelite paintings including William Holman Hunt's 'Converted British Family Sheltering a Christian Missionary' (Royal Academy 1850, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford) and Millais's 'Ophelia' (Royal Academy 1852, Tate Gallery, London.) She posed for this in winter in a bath of inadequately heated water, and the severe cold she caught is the first we hear of the ill health that would plague her for the rest of her life. After 'Ophelia' she sat exclusively to Rossetti. He fell in love with her and she inspired his most deeply felt drawings and watercolours. She too began to write poetry and to paint, exhibiting at the private Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at Russell Place in 1857, and the exhibition of British Art held in America in 1858. Ruskin admired her works, offered to buy all she produced, and paid for her medical treatment and travel.

Her works:

The Ladies' Lament from the Ballad of Sir Patrick Spens

Lady Clare

Before the Battle

Quest for the Holy Grail
  10. Janine
    Janine
    Those do remind me of some of Rossetti's. I love Millais and intend to post some of his soon. I have gathered an entire file by now. His Ophelia is brilliant. I like Hunt's work, also. Interesting article and especially about Rushin, how he paid for her medical treatment and travel. Here is the one you speak of by Millias:

Ophelia

and another I adore by the same artist:

Isabella and the Pot of Basil
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast