Pre-Raphaelite Society

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
  1. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    There is not much known about the life of Emma Sandy, but I think her work is quite stunning and she seemed to be rather prolific, (can you say that for painting or only writing?)

Portrait study of a lady in a yellow dress (possibly a self portrait)

Elaine

Preparing for the Ball

Viola

Revealing her Hand (I just love this one)

Portrait of a girl

La belle giroflée jaune
  2. Janine
    Janine
    Emma Sandy - I do like what I see DM...it is quite stunning...wonder why there is so little about her. Sad that the women artists were not recognised more.
    Lovely work here and interesting portraits and faces. This last one is different - the woman has such a pensive look on her face - I wonder what she is thinking about.
  3. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    This I found to be quite interesting Julia Margaret Cameron was acutally a photgorapher, and she did not take up photography untill the age of 48 when she was given a camera as a present. But her work helped the advancement of modern photogrpahy. Her portrait work had the same romantic feeling as Pre-Raphelite painting, and she did do Arthurian themed work.

This is a portrait of her by Geroge Frederick Watts

Rachel Gurney, I Wait, 1872

The Angel at the Tomb 1870

Pomona

Paul and Virginia

Mrs. Herbert Fisher

Study of a Magdalen, July 1874

She has a great deal of work and most of them were quite good, it was hard to choose which ones to display.
  4. Janine
    Janine
    Well, DM, you did choose some wonderful examples of her work. I am impressed. I love old time photography - these are so expressive and artistic. They are all great! Thanks for finding out about her and digging up such great material, plus her portrait..that almost looks photographic, as well.
  5. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Thank you, I am thinking about using The Angel at the Tomb in my Poe thread, there is something about that picture that makes me think of Poe, and I think it would go with the story we are talking about now
  6. Janine
    Janine
    Yes, good idea - that one is amazing and has a "Poe" feel to it - the mood is dark.
  7. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Lucy Madox Brown was born in Paris 1843, she was the eldest of Ford Madox Brown's three surviving children. Lucy posed for her father from an early age and later acted as her secretary and studio assistant. She began painting herself in 1868 under the guidance of her father. Her first exhibit was in 1869 and during her career, she appeared largely as a watercolorist with figure compositions drawn from modern life, literature and history. In 1874 she married William Rossetti and had four children in the next seven years. After becoming a mother she painted little and from 1885 showed signs of respiratory disease. Radical in her political and cultural interests, she was a signatory of the national petition for women's suffrage and wrote an unpublished biography of her father.

Ferdinand and Miranda Playing Chess

Margaret Roper Rescuing the Head of her Father

8. Janine
    Janine
    'Rescuing the Head of her Father' eek...not too sure about that one but it is done well. Just the idea of ones head in a basket. I like the others very well. Love it when they use rich reds and golden hues, don't you? There was a later Ford Madox who knew D.H.Lawrence - think he was his publisher...anyway, wonder if they are related. I thought that Madox was spelled with 2 'd's, but maybe that is just the other one. I will check on it.
  9. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Her family spells there name with one D

Hehe I like the head in the basket one. Ended up writing an article about Margret for one of my blogs, as the painting is based off of something that acutally happend. I love stories about things like that.
  10. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Catherine Madox Brown the sister of Lucy Madox brown, her earliest memories were of modelling for her father as a babe in arms, and visits by the Rossetti brothers. She Attended Queen's College and was trained in art by her father, Ford Madox Brown. She also worked as his model and studio assistant. Her first exhibition was in 1869 and there after chiefly painted in watercolors. In 1872 she married musicologist, Franz Hueffer. Her husband's death in 1889 left her in financial straits and she was denied a Civil List pension.

At the Opera

Ford Madox Brown at His Easel

Elsie Martindale Hueffer

Laura Alma-Tadema
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast