Pre-Raphaelite Society

Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast
  1. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Here is a touch of humur

Rules for love in Pre-Raphaelite Paintings

Rule 1: If you are staring at a woman, or nuzzling her devotedly, she should be demurely gazing away. This is the sign of a true and wonderful lady.

Rule 2: If a woman locks eyes securely with you, it means she either is a sorceress, or you are both under a spell. Use extreme caution.

Rule 3: If you feel like someone is gazing at you, or if a pretty young boy is looking at you, it could mean that a modest and good woman is staring at you secretly or in disguise. This is the only way for a woman of good standing to gaze openly upon her object of interest.
  2. sprinks
    sprinks
    I haven't really heard much about this period of art... But I like the pictures you've posted, and it's always good to learn more about various art movements and all, so I'm in!
  3. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Hehe yay, welcome abored. The art is beautiful I think. Later I will post a little more of the background behind the Pre-Raphaelite art movement.
  4. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Here is a little background on the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. It was called a Brotherhood, though there acutally were women involved, and women who painted in the style as well.

The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood (PRB) was founded in 1849 by William Holman Hunt (1827-1910), D.G. Rossetti, John Everett Millais (1829-1896), William Michael Rossetti, James Collinson, Thomas Woolner, and F. G. Stephens to revitalize the arts. (Even though William and Michael's sister, Christina, never was an official member of the Brotherhood, she was a crucial member of the inner circle. Although the young would-be art revolutionaries never published a manifesto, their works and memoirs show that having read Ruskin's praise of the artist as prophet, they hoped to create an art suitable for the modern age by:

1. Testing and defying all conventions of art; for example, if the Royal Academy schools taught art students to compose paintings with (a) pyramidal groupings of figures, (b) one major source of light at one side matched by a lesser one on the opposite, and (c) an emphasis on rich shadow and tone at the expense of color, the PRB with brilliant perversity painted bright-colored, evenly lit pictures that appeared almost flat.

2. The PRB also emphasized precise, almost photographic representation of even humble objects, particularly those in the immediate foreground (which were traditionally left blurred or in shade) --thus violating conventional views of both proper style and subject.

3. Following Ruskin, they attempted to transform the resultant hard-edge realism by combining it with typological symbolism. At their most successful, the PRB produced a magic or symbolic realism, often using devices found in the poetry of Tennyson and Browning.

4. Believing that the arts were closely allied, the PRB encouraged artists and writers to practice each other's art, though only D.G. Rossetti did so with particular success.

5. Looking for new subjects, they drew upon Shakespeare, Keats, and Tennyson.

5. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Themes and Elements

Here are some of the themes and elements which often make up Pre-Raphaelite art.

The subjects tend to focus often upon beautiful women and scenes from mythology. Often times the women come in 3 different varieties:

The Proper, demur, shy, "innocent" maiden.

A maiden of tragedy. Lady of Shallot and Ophelia are common figures in this art form

Or some enchanted or mythological woman.

Men typically tend to be either young, boyish, almost angelic looking, or handsome, charming, dashing knights.

The roles of men fall into two categories.

Either attempting to woo a young fair maiden

Or about to fall pray to a woman of an unnatural nature.

Elements commonly seen in this art form consist of:

Brightly colored, draping like garments, usually either long full dresses or togas.

Women tend to have long hair, and though not always, it is popular for the hair to be of a red/rose-gold color.

The women are also usually powerful and demanding of attention in someway. They instantly draw the eye, making everything else around them secondary.

In a Pre-Raphaelite painting, the woman or women featured will always be the very first thing to draw in the eye.

Chivalry is often displayed in these paintings.

These paintings are about youth, beauty, and restoring the past.

They are Romantic and glorifying of ages long lost.

6. sprinks
    sprinks
    Thanks for that information, I've only quickly read through it, so I'll properly read through it soon!
  7. Janine
    Janine
    Dark Muse, good idea for a group. I have to join up. I absolutely adore the Pre-Raphaelite painters. I have files on them saved, so I think I can come up with some great examples. I love the paintings you have already posted, especially that large one, below. This group will go along with a thread I hope to start; can't reveal the name yet, but it is coming soon.
  8. Dark Muse
    Dark Muse
    Hey, glad to see you over here. I am by no means an exepert on the subject, I just enjoy the art form, it will be nice to see what you have to share to the group.
  9. Janine
    Janine
    Glad to be here. I am having a friend over tonight to show her my new computer so I may or I may not get around to this page and posting some photos. She loves this type art as well, so I will show her your group. I wish she would join the forum. She would add so much.
  10. Janine
    Janine
    Found tons of neat photos on the internet last night - more artists involved in this movement or style of painting. I have been copying them late and even some more today. I hope to make two big files and burn them to CD's - will give one to my friend. I tried to get her to join up; maybe a little more twist of the arm and she will cave in. I hope to post some photos soon, DM. Going out tonight so it won't be that soon.
Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast