The League of Honourable Old Geezers and Geezerettes

1. Virgil
    Virgil
    Not only was I smoking a pipe, but I was in a dark, flannel robe with slippers on my feet, piano music in the background, and an encyclopedia in my hand. Nah, only kidding. Just having a bit of scotch in a brandy glass while on lit net.
  2. ClaesGefvenberg
    ClaesGefvenberg
    Old geezers and geezerettes often begin every other sentence with: -I remember when.... blah, blah, this and that...

So tell us something most of us should have memories from if we are old enough. I'll go first: I remember the moon landings. I sat there more or less nailed to the telly every time there was anything to see about them. I hardly missed a beat when Apollo 11 went there in 1969.
  3. Janine
    Janine
    Claes, I do that quite a bit now. I guess I am an offical old geezette! I loved the space walk, too/the first landing on the moon. I think I was in high school then. I was also riveted to the TV.

Well, my plane memory that I wrote up in the photo thread is a good one. Everyone can read it there; I don't have the energy to repeat it here right now.

I also recall actually being able to wear a bikini! Hey everyone did - it was the 60's....now those days are long gone...*sign* I recall hoola hoops and when they first became a cultural fade - the plastic colorful type, not wooden; I'm not that old, and I actually could do the hoop around my waist; forget about now, falls right to my feet. I remember "penny candy".... OMG - that really shows my age - and some pieces actually did cost one cent! I recall the first TV's - they were really small screens - I was a toddler to perhaps age 6, but somehow, I still do recall them...same with first hi fi's with TV's included in the huge console. We had one...yikes they took up a lot of room space. Now don't laugh - I recall a man walking through our neighborhood selling clothes props - do any of you even know what they are? We actually still have a few in our backyard. He would yell "close props for sale, close props for sale!" real loud like a barker. Geez, those were the good old days! We actually hung cloths on lines outside and the smelled so fresh.
  4. motherhubbard
    motherhubbard
    Janine, I still hang my clothes out.
  5. pussnboots
    pussnboots
    don't worry M-H, my mother-in-law still hangs her laundry outside on a line.
  6. papayahed
    papayahed
    Why I remember when you were considered a dork for wearing a bicycle helmet.
  7. papayahed
    papayahed
    and I remember when the playground was built on cement.
  8. Janine
    Janine
    Yeah, how in the world did we survive never ever wearing a bike helmet? I even rode my bike 'no hands!' - if we fell down we just got a few scrapes, not a concusion...not like nowdays... I guess those helmets are protecting kids from brain damage. Also, I recall cars without seatbelts and forget about baby car seats, like the ones they have today. Of course, those two inovations were definitely needed and glad of it. I just wonder how in heaven's name, we all survived to join this forum and this social group....and we all still can 'think', even without any bike helmets to protect our delicate brains.
  9. Virgil
    Virgil
    I think all those innovations were needed. Not everything was for the best in the old days. If you fell in the old days you were just as likely to have a concussion or worst than if you fell without a helmet today. The human skull has not changed. At least the outside. What's inside these kid's heads seems a little more watery these days. (I still had to get a Geezer dig in.)
  10. Janine
    Janine
    Virgil, I would not dispute that one bit but I can't recall one kid in my neighborhood actually getting a concussion from falling off their bikes. Also back then we did not have antibacterial soap. I just marvel that we all did not get diseases and die before we even reached adulthood.
    Yes, I liked your little Geezer dig; yes, I was always quite smart myself in avoiding falling off my bike and getting seriously hurt.