The League of Honourable Old Geezers and Geezerettes

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
  1. Janine
    Janine
    pussnboots, I know those slippers! I think I have seen people in my convenience store actually wearing them - you just never know what you will see there late at night - makes for some interest, anyway! Store is only up the street from my house. Once I went there and about 6 cops were congragate on the side of the building, sipping their coffee. I asked them if there was a robbery and they laughed - told me they were there to protect people like me - yeah ones foolish enough to go there 12AM.
  2. barbara0207
    barbara0207
    Why on earth would anyone go shopping at midnight? That's my time for LitNet. But over here, shops close between 7 and 10 pm anyway.

My dress code story:

A colleague of mine wanted to celebrate her silver wedding and the couple invited their friends into a nice restaurant - including the husnad's boss. Everybody had put on suits and dresses, only the boss turned up in jeans and a tight pullover stretched over his very balky stomach. He noticed that he was terribly underdressed but he didn't drive home to change. I would have done that if I'd seen that my costume was completely out of place. What about you?
  3. Janine
    Janine
    I think I would never have worn such an out of place outfit to a wedding celebration. This reminds me of my son's 30th birthday - we took him to this very nice steakhouse pub; some place we only have gone on special occasions...so what does he wear? I did not mind the dress jeans and the nice skirt but did he have to wear flip-flops? I was horrified at him doing that.
  4. Virgil
    Virgil
    Barbara, it depends how far I would have to drive. If it's relatively close, yes. But I always feel it's best to be over dressed than under dressed. I think as a young man I've made the mistake of being embarressingly under dressed. But now that I'm an old geezer...
  5. ClaesGefvenberg
    ClaesGefvenberg
    This looks like a group for me... At least here on LitNet, with it's increadibly low average age.

/Claes
  6. barbara0207
    barbara0207
    I agree, Virgil. Being slightly overdressed can never be as embarrassing than the other way round.

Hi Claes! What's your story?
  7. Janine
    Janine
    Claes - haha - now that is sooo true...but we may be few but we will be heard!

Virgil and Barbara, I totally agree with that concept. I have been often overdressed but I did not let it bother me one bit - wearing something nice makes one feel good about one's self - what is wrong with that?
  8. LadyWentworth
    LadyWentworth
    Barbara, I love to go to a store at midnight! It is actually kind of fun. I really don't know why, but it is.

I have to say this. I HATE FLIP-FLOPS!!! I know a lot of people wear them, but they make me gag. I can't stand the look of feet.

The way that people dress at the theater is a big issue for me. It amazes me that people can't figure out what to do. When I went to see the musical "Avenue Q", I wore a very nice pair of jeans (it was during our freezing weather). I wore a pair of boots and a nice sweater. I dressed it up without getting too dressy. I am going to the theater. I still want to look NICE. "Avenue Q" isn't the sort of show to get all dolled up for, though. Yet, there was a woman who came in a sparkly flapper-like dress. That was too far.

That leads to the other end of the scale. "The Phantom of the Opera". I would think it would be common knowledge that this show is a lot classier than something like "Avenue Q". So, yes, I have worn a skirt one time and a dress the other time when I went to see it. When I go see it again next year, I will again put in the effort to make myself "pretty". The problem here, for me, is other people. They come in jeans and a t-shirt. Most of the men were dressed in suits (or at least a dress shirt and tie - it was summer - it was hot). But there were a few people in jeans and t-shirts!! I wouldn't even say if it was a matinee. But these were Saturday nights!

What happened to the days when people actually wanted to dress up? It isn't a day-to-day thing. I would think people would like to do this every now and then (especially women). That is maybe just me, though.
  9. Virgil
    Virgil
    I completely agree with you Lady Went. No one wants to dress up for an occaision any longer. I think a classy evening out is special. Why don't people want to feel classy any longer? Why must every minute of one's life be casual?
  10. Janine
    Janine
    Virgil, I agree also. I will dress nicely, tonight just to go to a dinner. I don't care - I refuse to wear the same old clothes that I wear day-in and day-out; what is the fun in that? I feel better in a nice top and dress jeans or slacks; sometimes a nice peasant skirt. I think most people are just plain lazy and they have lost that sense of pride. It is sad to see such motley gard in public places nowdays.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast