View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

A Fallen Hero

Rate this Entry
I have just discovered that one of my literary icons has died today. As many of you may know from some of my past writings, J.D. Salinger ranked among my favorite authors and always held a very special place within my thoughts and literary pursuits. Like many of you I first read "Catcher in the Rye" in high school, and I was gripped instantly by the story. I fell in love with Holden as he pulled me long through the trails and experiences of his life. I felt a personal kinship with him, I could relate and identify with him and ever since that has remained one of the most memorable as well as influential books I have read, that has not in all this time since been shaken from its place in the high rankings of my favorites.

And after that I devoured everything by Salinger that I could get my hands on, and was never once disappointed by the experience. There are many who criticize Salinger's writing, particularly for the reoccurring angst which provides though many of his characters and stories, some find it too simplistic, or immature, shallow and lacking in depth, but it was of course that cold biting cynicism which warmed its way into my soul and touched me at the very core speaking to me on very personal levels. I was enchanted by his characters, and I hungered for more of them. They spoke to me directly, touched some imperative cord within my soul. Within the capacity of the author-reader relationship I always felt we had a connection, and understand with each other. In fact many of my own poetic femme fatales were inspired by the works of J.D. Salinger.

At times I would tell my friends that I sometimes felt as if I was one of J.D Salinger's characters come to life. There were moments when I felt like a creation of his. Perhaps he was not the most brilliant write ever, and perhaps his works were not pursue great, philosophical, complicated depths and maybe they are not relatable to everyone, but all the same he was a light which illuminated within the dark reaches of this cold heart, and for that he will always be a treasure I cherish.
Categories
Soulful Insights

Comments

A fitting tribute to an author who has been lauded for years. I confess I have never had the desire to read him but I have always been aware that I SHOULD have. I feel that way about Faulkner and Hemmingway (both of which works I ahve sampled). I suspect my adversion to Mr. Holden was the fear of seeing more of me in him then I desired at the time. Your tribute was form the heart and would have made a great eulogy.
    Thank you, he has been an inspiration and a comfort to me. *sigh* Now I only regert that I did not keep my copy of his Nine Stories that I read. But this has left me with the desire to revisist The Catcher in the Rye.
    Very beautiful, Dark Muse. I love Salinger. I think he's deep. Personally, I think he writes like a dream. I have seldom read another writer whom I think writes dialog as well as Salinger does.
    Nicce tribute D-M. I loved him too, but count me in the camp of those who noticve his limitations.

some find it too simplistic, or immature, shallow and lacking in depth
    I think that's rather strong though. I think one could say immature in understanding the world, but I wouldn't say he lacked depth or was too simplistic or shallow. It seemed he could only write from an adultlenscent point of view and that I'm afraid won't make you a great writer. But he was incredibly enjoyable and a skilled prose writer. I think he needed to write one more novel that was more than adultlencent angst. Perhaps buried in his papers there will be one and we'll all be surprised.

But his Nine Stories are classic. I really think he knew the short story form. Get yourself another copy of it and read them.
    Yes I will be on the look out for another copy of that book now, and I have been for a while contemplating re-reading Catcher in the Rye, now this really makes me want to start reading it.