View RSS Feed

title

placement

Rate this Entry
I have been placed for my student teaching. I will be in a second grade class and the teacher is a friend of mine. I did not request her, but I was praying that I would be placed with her. She's very knowledgeable and I believe that I will learn a lot from her.

I start three weeks from today.

The week before I begin I plan to get some help making a making a resume. I have such limited work experience so I don't know what to do with it. I've had one job in the past ten years. I hate to put down that I waited tables in 1989 but I'll have to go way way back to find some work experience. I'm sure they will be able to help me, though. I'm getting letters of recommendation together. Maybe I should get a professional picture made to go along with the resume. After getting my test scores and a great placement I feel very confident about finding work and things going well.

My only concerns are with managing family responsibilities. I'm worried about being late to pick the kids up from school, but I think Bailey and I can work together on that. I'm worried about cooking and cleaning and taking care of those kinds of things. I'm doing good to get everything done as it is and I'm home most days. We'll see how it goes.
Categories
teaching

Comments

Being worried is only natural, it's a big change. But you've done really well and you're going to be a great teacher. I hope the placement goes well.

My answer to the cleaning problem is just not to do it. You dust and the dust comes back, but if you leave it, after a while, it doesn't get any dustier

Good luck!
    No, put all your work expereince down. And make sure you include your motherhood and building of your home. I know that is not applicable, but trust me in an interview what people want to see is diligence and perseverence. You're not looking to get to be supervisor or CEO. You're asking for an entry level position. Your grades and your education provide the qualifications for that. After that an employer wants to know they are hiring a responsible person, a person who is going to work and not give them trouble. Oh don't forget to mention your farm.

Best of luck Mom-H. Sounds like things are working out for you.
    Work with another teacher on the resume and become knowledgeable about what the district wants to learn about you. Everyone who has finished student teaching is in the same boat and student teaching counts as work experience.

Don't put restaraunt experience on the resume, they don't care about that. Double check with another teacher or ask a principal for their feedback about what they do care.

You'll be fine.
    Whoo Hooo! How exciting MH. I wouldn't put my restaurant experience on my resume but then again when i wasfresh out of school I think I put a few of my joe jobs. I would search monster or careerbuilder and look at some of those resumes in your field it might give you a little extra help to figure out what is expected on your resume.
    Jersea and Papaya - you don't think that leaving a gap in work experience creates doubts from the perspective of one hiring? I guess it could be explained during the interview, but out of the resumes I get, I may only interview 1/5th, if not less. If I get doubts, that resume falls to the wayside off the bat. For all I know she may have been in jail during those years.

But Papaya has a good idea. Check out resumes of those in your field.
    I was trying to make that point, that you should write your resume with the woman you are student teaching with. She will be able to guide you along. There are a ton of resume examples on the web that you can use as examples. The field of education is different from other fields. They want to know you can manage a class of 20 students and keep the test scores up.
    Such exciting and good news, MH!

I wouldn't list my out-of-field jobs in my resume but mention those in further info/other skills section (giving the job and dates briefly without going into detail) and try to make them sound like they are bonuses for the job applied. For example, working as a waitress means you are able to cope with stress and also multitask. Or dancing/acting experience will help you make your class more intersting and such

Good luck!

Oh and... Welcome to the Darkside!