View RSS Feed

Nostalgia

More nostalgia

Rate this Entry
Sometimes bets can go a little far. Throw in someone who demands payment for a bet won, and things can get disastrous. Ross was a vegetarian, and somewhere along the line he bet Brittany and Kelli that they couldn't do a month of vegetarianism. Kelli held out- Brittany didn't. The end of low season was drawing closer, and out of the blue one night after a few beers, Ross shouted that Brittany had two days to pay him back for the lost bet. Brittany stared at him like she wanted to kick him in the balls, but the crowd began excitedly shuffling towards the kitchen. I followed, not knowing what exactly was transpiring until we had all fifteen or sixteen people left packed into the kitchen. Ross began stripping down to his boxers, and Kelli came running in with a gallon jug of Ranch dressing. Ross laid down on the counter, and Kelli upended the jug onto his chest, smearing it around with a spatula.
"If anyone takes a video of this, I'll kill them," Brittany threatened. Still, I saw John hiding his phone behind his back. He gave me a wink, and turned back to the activity.
It didn't take me too long to figure out just what the bet was: if Brittany couldn't do a month of vegetarian, she had to lick Ranch dressing off of Ross's nipples. As it turned out, the Ranch was spoiled.

Nestled amongst the big round bales, the six of us stared up at the clear August sky. John, with his pitcher of gin and tonic, passing a cigarette back and forth with Sarah, Bear sleeping in his awkwardly human poses, Brad silently mulling things over like usual, and Hillary yacking about absolutely nothing, like usual. A meteor streaked across the sky, making Hillary gasp out loud and talk for a minute and a half straight about how awesome it was. I let out a huge yawn and fought back against whatever was making my eyelids weigh so much.
"Skinny, why don't you go to bed?" Sarah asked.
"I dunno. Don't want to, I guess," I replied. The real reason was because I didn't want to miss a minute of the remaining hours I had with them, my summer family. Already, people were packing up to leave and go back to the real world. Wasting time was not an option, knowing I would never see most of them again.
Hillary finally got tired of the lack of interaction and left, leaving the rest of us in a happy silence. We just laid there, all tangled up in a mess of sweatshirts, coats, blankets and limbs. John blew a few smoke rings and we watched them hang in the cold mountain air. Another meteor flashed from the heavens, leaving behind a trail of wonder and awe. The silence was only highlighted by the faint echo of a pack of coyotes howling somewhere out in the big, dark land.
The moon peeked out from behind the big cottonwood, throwing a blue haze over everything. John began singing little diddies that he'd written over the summer, and my eyes finally began drifting closed as he sang a tale of a drunken Irishman who fell asleep in the bushes and woke up with a bow tied on his . . . yeah.
Categories
my blog?

Comments

the summer, and my eyes finally began drifting closed as he sang a tale of a drunken Irishman who fell asleep in the bushes and woke up with a bow tied on his . . . yeah.
    LOL I LOVE that song! I have an obcession with Irish Drinking songs, and that is one of my favorites. My boyfrined first sent it to me and it cracks me up everytime.
    Me too, but I can't remember how it goes! Do you still have it?!
    Hehe yes I have it on my ipod. Here are the lyrics

Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left a bar on evening fair
    And one could tell by how we walked that he drunk more than his share
    He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
    Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street
    Ring ding diddle diddle I de oh ring di diddly I oh
    He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young and lovely girls just happend by
    And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
    See yon sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built
    I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt
    I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
    Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
    And there behold, for them to see, beneath his Scottish skirt
    Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth
    Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said we must be gone
    Let's leave a present for our friend, before we move along
    As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon, tied into a bow
    Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show
    Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled towards a tree
    Behind a bush, he lift his kilt and gawks at what he sees
    And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
    O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize
    O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize
    THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!! You're amazing!
    Hehe you are welcome!
    Skib, this is solid writing, especially the second one. I loved this:
    Nestled amongst the big round bales, the six of us stared up at the clear August sky. John, with his pitcher of gin and tonic, passing a cigarette back and forth with Sarah, Bear sleeping in his awkwardly human poses, Brad silently mulling things over like usual, and Hillary yacking about absolutely nothing, like usual. A meteor streaked across the sky, making Hillary gasp out loud and talk for a minute and a half straight about how awesome it was. I let out a huge yawn and fought back against whatever was making my eyelids weigh so much.
    "Skinny, why don't you go to bed?" Sarah asked.
    "I dunno. Don't want to, I guess," I replied. The real reason was because I didn't want to miss a minute of the remaining hours I had with them, my summer family. Already, people were packing up to leave and go back to the real world. Wasting time was not an option, knowing I would never see most of them again.
    Whooee! You need to conceptualize a full story around it.
    Yeah, I'm not too keen on the first one. I wrote it last but decided to put it first and leave off with a darker mood, more nostalgic mood, since that is what lingers with. I need to sober up before I develop anything though! I'll try and remember to put this on my list of things to work on.
    Thank you, as always Virgil!
    The first one is not bad. It's an interesting little anecdoct. But the second one really caught my eye.