View RSS Feed

Virgil

Early Morning Fog

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Last year we spent a few days with my sister in Toledo, Ohio, and not far from her home is an open field and woods. I decided to get up early and walk about with my camera, hoping to catch some deer in a picture. Unfortunately the deer were too smart for me, but it was a gloriously foggy morning with the sun breaking through. Fifth reminded me of these pictures with her blog mentioning fog earlier today and so I share them with you, my fellow lit netters. Let me know what you think and which in your opinion are the top two pictures.

Updated 10-11-2009 at 09:48 PM by Virgil

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    # 3 and # 5 I like # 2 as well.
    great pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard
    great pics.
    But which are your top two?
    five and three- two comes in third
    Number 3 and & 7 and that was a hard choice they are some of the best photo's I have seen in a long while.
    Those are beautiful, Virgil! I absolutely love foggy mornings like that, rare as they are here in CO.
    Thanks all.

Skib - you didn't say which you thought best. I'm trying to decide which i should print enlarged and frame.
    Wow, you captured that well. I love rays coming through clouds and trees! I like photos in fog. I think fog and mist make the best photos. These turned out really nice, Virgil. Thanks for telling me to check them out. Were these taken with your new camera? I think that #2 and #4 are you most interesting shots but it was hard to choose really - love them all!

Opps, now I think I like #5 better than #4...but it's a close call.
    Updated 10-12-2009 at 12:42 AM by Janine
    thanks Janine. Yes, that was my Nikon D60, which was brand new when i took those last year. You're the first to mention #4 and I thought that might be my best. But I do like 3 and 5 as well.
    Virgil, you're quite a photographer! #1 and #5 for me
    Wow! I absolutley love all of them except the first (which has akward lighting at the top of the trees).

I've been trying forever to get a perfect shot of the suns rays, peering in through some object, but have never been able to do it as well as you did.

Top two pictures? Oh man. Ummm.. . ..#2 and #3; 2 because of the directness of the rays towards the camera, which is just beautiful, as well as the seemingly infinite number of other cracks in the forests trees, revealing patches of sunlight. With the latter I was a bit ambivelent, but once looking at that barren tree in the middle of the picture, I was convinced.

Big thumbs up
    Absolutely fabulous Virgil... I love them all it is quite hard to chose just two. But here goes - 3 and 5. They have a sense of secrecy about them with the fog and rays of light.
    They're all good pics Virgil. It's more mist than fog though.

I like #2 and #3 for the very lovely crepuscular rays. Especially #3. The way the light changes from the sun glinting behind the tree to the thin bands of light is quite dramatic.
    Wow! Absolutely beautiful . I think I like #2 and #4 the best. Actually, the second one makes me think of a disco, in the way that the sun makes patterns on the ground. I could just imagine the fairies in the forest having their own little rave
    Maybe because I saw it first, 1 captivated me and as I looked on through the others I was reminded of a couple of interviews I was reading with Marilynne Robinson where she speaks so beautifully of the mystery of creation:

“So I have spent my life watching, not to see beyond the world, merely to see, great mystery, what is plainly before my eyes.” Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam

“There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient.” Marilynne Robinson, Gilead, pg 243
    Beautiful! I love it.

Favourites: #5, #6 and #7

Personally, I'd print #6. That one's perfect.
    Updated 10-12-2009 at 08:08 AM by Themis
    #3 and 5 are my favorites (but 4 and 7 come in close) and they're all beautiful . I love foggy mornings and there have been a lot of them lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement
    They're all good pics Virgil. It's more mist than fog though.
    Yes, I guess you're right. It was more of a mist, though it could have burned off by the time I took the pictures. Is there a criteria between mist and fog. ?
    Thank you all, especially Prince for that nice quote. I will have to tabulate which picture got the most votes.
    There is! It's to do with visibility. If you can see less than a kilometre it's fog, if more than a kilometre it's mist. Accepting that you can't see through the trees visibility isn't too bad, so it's probably mist.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast