View RSS Feed

Life

English Food

Rate this Entry
Hi All--Having a wonderful trip to England and just settled into Oxford where I have spent a heavenly afternoon among the ancient books of Duke Humfrey's Library at the Bodleian. Have been snapping hundreds of pictures on my tour thus far and, bearing in mind the lengthy discussion of foods that has taken place on these forums here http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=46567, took some pictures of the local fare as well. Before posting anything so boring as pictures of Parliament or Buckingham Palace, then, I shall deal first and foremost deal with these rumors about the inferiority of British food that have been circulated. Thus far I have been eating very happily. Some photographic evidence:

Breakfast

As forewarned, the English do indeed appear to have but two sauces. HP and Tomato manifest themselves everywhere:

Eggs and sausage (even if HP free) are truly delicious:

Snack

It is apple season here and this delicious fruit is easily obtainable. This particular batch was bought for a pound from a local church before being stored in my hat and used for still life practice:

There are convenient tables everywhere to set one's apple on:

Unfortunately some specimens of the fruit are so large that they threaten to become too heavy for local landmarks to bear:

Lunch

As a sample of luncheon fare I present my three course Salisbury meal at the lovely Tudor hotel, The Rose and Crown:

A divine Tomato & Basil soup:

Chicken in wild mushroom cream sauce with beautifully tender veggies:

Melon and Sorbet:

And a charming view of the river, complete with swan and sheep worthy of a Constable painting:

Tea

Absolutely my favorite meal here is tea. There are a number of lovely variations on this theme:

Cream Tea--note the clotted cream, which is so called, no doubt, due to its affect on the arteries, but one is too happy eating it to care much:

This particular cream tea was taken on a bridge in Bath overlooking the Avon:

Special Cream Tea

Basically a cream tea with cucumber sandwiches and a Queen Victoria sponge cake thrown in for good measure:

Champagne Tea

All I can say is that the Dorchester Hotel is heaven on earth at tea time (though if one is a budgeting student then it helps if a generous Mum comes along):

Dinner

Off to the Pub for some local fare. Fish 'n Chips:

Cheddar Jacket Potato:

And, naturally, a Pint with good old Milton:

Updated 09-24-2009 at 05:49 PM by Petrarch's Love

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

How cool!! Loved the culinary tour. The outdoor pictures are great. Very charming. That picture of you with the apple, you seemed dressed for cold weather, colder than i would think for September. Is it cold out? And may I say that you look gorgeous in that picture with the champagne glass.
    Nice pictures Petrarch, I'm glad you're not going to starve. Well, certainly not if you're eating cream teas you won't
    Ah, you made it to Stonehenge. It's a lovely place.
    The question is, have you tried HP sauce yet?
    The apple thing was funny.
    You look so at home having tea at the Dorchester.
    Virg.--Glad you liked the culinary tour. Thanks for the compliment about the champagne shot. I imagine holding a glass of champagne helps improve anyone's appearance. No, it hasn't been too cold here, but it was very windy and a bit brisk at Stonehenge, so I had my coat on (just my light fall raincoat, not my winter one). Most of the time it's been absolutely lovely and fairly sunny weather here, though. Later in the same day as the Stonehenge picture was taken I was enjoying a the gentle little breezes near the river in Salisbury:
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...nardoD/173.jpg

FifthElement--Yes, the cream teas have been keeping body and soul together. I skipped lunch on the days I had the cream teas and have been eating light dinners, so I may have only gained about 100 pounds from each one. As for HP sauce, yes I did try it with sausage and found it decent but a bit more tart and vinegary than I like. Still, if I encounter anything truly inedible I can certainly see it would help!

Mortal--Glad the forced perspective efforts had their intended humorous effect.

Prendrelemik--And who wouldn't feel happy and at home having such a sumptuous and delicious experience? Cannot commend their high tea highly enough.
    Looks like a great, yummy time.
    The food looks gorgeous, dahling, good enough to eat, anyway! Really, I must have some of that clotted cream before I die!
    The apple pics-adorable and funny, too.

Oxford and it's library-a little piece of heaven. You are so lucky! Keep having fun, and keep sharing it with us.
    Well, the food looks good to me...delicious! I would love tea there, also...such yummy desserts! I want the clotted cream, too. Who cares about calories or arteries when on vacation! I laughed so at the apple still life's...really creative and funny on top of Stonehenge...good job! I am pining now to go to England and see the great things you are seeing and experience the food; just refrain from the two sauces...eeek... Keep the photos coming. I think you look gorgeous in all of them; loved the one lazing around on the shore of the lake...lovely. Happy touring, Petrarch...and thanks so for the post card...you are so thoughtful and sweet....I loved it!
    Updated 10-16-2009 at 05:41 PM by Janine
    Very good, very amusing, I have been wondering how you have got on.