View RSS Feed

Exiled in a kilt

home

Rate this Entry
This is home now. It feels good being here. I know nobody in scotland anymore except family. My friends are here, my life is here, I am no longer an exile I am a citizen.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

all rigghhttt, good for you. Gonna change your screen name?
    That's a big statement. Funny that you had to go back to really realize it. It's good to be home.
    You know the same thing dawned on my parents, who were immigrants from Italy, after a trip to Italy where they essentially felt uncomfortable with their own family. Since I was three years old when we immigrated, so my whole consciousness is essentially American, I completely understand based on my parents.

Mom-H, I think the going back is a catharsis that must happen. One tends to hold idealized views of a place, and the coming face to face where the reality doesn't meet the idealization becomes a moment of epiphany.
    Updated 07-25-2009 at 03:38 PM by Virgil
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed
    all rigghhttt, good for you. Gonna change your screen name?
    I hope not. I would completely be confused.
    it's a heavy realization, isn't it? home is where the heart is .
    I read The Whipping Boy to the boys last night. When the whipping boy returned home to learn that he had changed and grown so much that it was no longer home I thought of you. I suppose this is something that happens to some degree to us all. This area is still my home, but when visit my mother's house I'm not home anymore.
    I would agree with that Mom-H. Whenever I go to Brooklyn, and I still go to the old neighborhood to visit friends and go to my barber (who I've been going to for like thirty years) it does feel strange. Of course that's a far less dramatic change from what Kilt experienced.