View RSS Feed

Captain Pike's Ship Log II

I Should Be Committed!

Rate this Entry

All winter we shivered away up here in a one-bedroom apartment, trying to buy a house, hoping to start the spring together somewhere new. Every house we looked at had nice features -- hell, some of you have seen many of them. Every place we saw was anywhere from 60% to 85% what we wanted. But there was always something, and sometimes a bunch of things, that we would've had to change right off, before a home would be "compatible" to my needs.

An old friend said one day, "why don't you build a house?" Actually, we had looked into this last year and it seemed too expensive. One thing led to another and this guy, well actually, the son of the guy who asked that question, is building us a house.

All the stuff you've ever heard about building a house is probably true. Getting married may be a commitment of some kind, but building a house together, now that is a pledged promise of obligation! Isn't it great that I have such confidence that Little Miss Wonderful and I will endure this arrangement of bond and covenant.

So that's where I've been. Learning how to sign my name. Learning what color I would prefer to have floor walls and ceiling, and what they are to be made of. One little anecdote. The closet in the master bedroom is bigger and has more windows than one of the apartments I lived in when I went to college! It's going to be great though, we both have some of the things we've always wanted.

Updated 07-13-2009 at 02:28 PM by Captain Pike

Categories
Autobiographical

Comments

This is excellent news. Glad things are going well for you.
    Oh that is great Capt!!! And it's a one level ranch style which will make things much easier for you. Congratulations. I would love to design my own house one day, but I doubt that will ever happen. As they say on the Jewish side of my family, Mazel Tov!
    Congratulations on the house. How fun that would be to have a house that one has had a hand in designing. And I've watched enough HGTV to know that it would also be absolutely maddening!
    Great News!! I was thinking of you the other day and wondering how the search went. Just wait with building, you'll get everything you want, and then after a year you'll be thinking of all the little things you want to change that just didn't occur to you while building (I know, I'm doing it now):lol: All in all it is great news, and good luck to you with the building. I'm ashamed to say after building my house and moving in a year ago, I am not likely to move again in the near future. It was a good experience and far more stressful than either getting married or having kids;)
    The line that really caught my eyes was the one that reads "Isn't it great that I have such confidence that Little Miss Wonderful and I will endure..." It seems that there are many trials we endure for the one we love. I applaud your confidence, so keep us abreast of your progress.