View RSS Feed

IJustMadeThatUp

On the Wall.

Rate this Entry
Several times a day I pause in front of the framed memorabilia on the wall. It's not a jersey, a bat, nor a poster. It's probably not worth much and the signature on the postcards won't impress anyone. But it means the world to me.

This is the postcard that I pause to read:

Dear Mum,
Am prisoner of war. Unwounded, in good health and spirit. Hope all well. Don't worry, love and kisses,
George

That's my late Poppy, and having known him means more to me than meeting any celebrity. We are lucky that we have all of his papers from the war, they were stuffed in a tin that had been sitting in his old farm house since he died over ten years ago. By chance, somebody opened the tin before it was thrown out and found a treasure trove of our family history. To honour him, we had his war medals, photo, driver's licence, postcards etc framed. I love it.

Updated 06-22-2009 at 11:07 AM by IJustMadeThatUp

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This is really touching -- and a well told story. Thanks for posting it. And if you'll forgive my American-centrism for a moment, what war is referred to here?
    Thanks Comedian It means a lot to me. He was a POW in Thailand during WW2. It's amazing to read some of the books about his battalion and see his name mentioned.
    what precious momentos to have!!
    Wow, I'm so glad chance was in your favor and those letters were discovered. What a beautiful way to get to know him even better, to continue to feel on intimate terms with someone you love so much.
    You honor your father greatly as he did his country in his trails and tribulations. I can well uderstand why that postcard is of great value. My father was in the Pacific during WW2 but would never talk about it--ever.
    Super. I would have all that framed and hanging on a wall too. He deserves the honor.
    This is great. Very, very potent and powerful.
    Gosh that is so sweet. And beautiful.
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments