View RSS Feed

title

The First Year of Life

Rate this Entry
This is dedicated to my darling grand-daughter, Brooke, in honor of her first birthday; which took place last Thurs. My son and his wife had a big party on Saturday. It was a wonderful day for all, especially Brooke!

I wish to follow up this post with another, in which, I will post a selection of photos of the first year of Brooke's life, starting with some hospital shots, through to her first birthday.

Prior to the party, shopping sure is fun!
Baby/toddler girl's summer clothes are so darn cute, I can't restrain myself, when I go to the baby department. Here's some I bought her for her special day. You should see the bathing suits, adorable!

Brooke liked the melons best! Grandma Myra and Brooke.

The backyard with tents and guests; thankfully, the clouds held off and it turned out to be a beautiful warm sunny day. I should have taken a photo; to the left, just outside the fence, was a giant inflatable castle, bouncy chamber; the kids sure enjoyed that! so did some of the adults, including my son; he had his friend over on Sunday with his two kids to bouce around in it with his wife, even Brooke.

Brooke's parents made up these sandbucket party favors for all the kids; they had stick-on letters for the names and were very colorful!

A friend of my daughter-in-law's mom holding Brooke.

Milk is still the best comfort food!

Time for the lighting of the one candle, my birthday song and the first taste of my cake - guess what? Brooke didn't care to have any parts of that cake. "Give me melons anyday!" She also preferred chewing on the pink spoon...much more entertaining.

Well, the other kids were not of the same mindset. Dillon, on the left was diving into his cake enthusiastically.

The party broke up and we stayed on...the two grannies, pop-pop, the greatgrannie and Brooke's great aunt, and her great-great aunt...
So time for Brooke's big gift - her new rocking horse. Her daddy took her out on
Wednesday to pick it out; she even tried it out in the store. She just loves it. It's so cute; the head has batteries and when you squeeze the ears it neighs and makes a 'clippity clop' sound. It even has a saddle. Just the thing for a 'little miss cowgirl'. I must find her a nice cowgirl hat or outfit, so she can ride in style.

"Mom, I love my new pony!"

I wasn't fast enough, but she kisses the pony's nose; that made my heart melt.

Her other grannie and pop-pop bought her this adorable monogramed arm-chair....
"this one's just right" said Goldielocks!

Grandmom Myra made me a crocheted comforter; Grandma Janine gave me my first baby doll. Wow, not much room left for me!

Oops...I lost my blue block....it's here somewhere...

Birthday tu tu's are wonderful for playing 'peek a boo'....always resoureful...
(she gets that from me! haha)

"The Thinker"...it's been a long day....and I just want to mull things over and relax...

Updated 05-21-2009 at 11:38 PM by Janine

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oh cool. I'll look forward to it.
    Oh gosh, how did you find this, Virgil? I just started it. I have thought of it since Saturday.
    You must have posted it. It was here to comment on.
    aww, how splendid! I'll look forward to it!
    OMG, Janine finally entered the world of blogging.
    I really liked all the pictures. Looks like a great time had by all. There's just something about tu-tu's and little girls. My mother bought a dress for her great-grandaughter which had a tu-tu attached and for the first week she didn't want to take it off. She even slept in it. The rocking horse is cute. I especially like the last picture. The chair is really cool as well.
    I can't wait till we have a little one!!!
    There just isnt an english expression suited to saying how adorable she is !
    Thanks everyone!

Yes, pussnboots, I'm finally doing something with my blog. I just never find the extra time to put it together. I thought her birthday would be a good starting point. It's been a wonderful year of many changes and much delight. I hope to make up my next posting with select photos from that year. I found one thing out, when photographing a one year old, they sure are active! Everytime Brooke will do something, which is totally adorable; then I go to push the shutter, she moves. I never seem to catch that moment and this is an older camera. It might not be fast enough.

How cute about the tu-tu; she slept in it. I saw a whole section, in the toy store, with costumes for kids; lots of tu tu's there and princess, fairy outfits - very cute.

That last photo is my favorite, too. She looks so pensive and I love how her little bare feet are positioned and her hands. That chair is perfect for her.

Ah, Nighty, that's so sweet of you to say. I run out of adjectives myself, because I just think she is so adorable and so darling at times; I know, I start to sound like a broken record, but grandmas do love to talk about their grandbabies. Thanks for checking out my blog and the party photos.
    Updated 05-21-2009 at 03:57 PM by Janine
    Adorable! How she is the center of attention. Babies bring out such love.
    D'awww!!! Sweet x 1000= your grandbaby.

Also, that looks like an AWESOME party! !
    I love the last one! I like the look on her face and how she is sitting there.

The dresses are so cute. That was a pretty good idea for the favors, though. I never thought about something like that. Yes, that would stand out to me. Where did she ever find that chair? Did she have it personalized? That is really nice.

Very nice pictures, Janine! She is just adorable! But I suppose that is because she is your granddaughter, right? That is something my grandmother would always say.

By the way, her other grandma looks like somebody! I will probably go crazy trying to think of who it is. She really reminds me of someone.
    Thanks all for looking and commenting. Yes, Virgil, now I cropped some and think it puts Brooke more in the spotlight. It was her day! She took a long nap and woke up really happy and pleasant so she had a grand time. Thanks for stopping by Becca. It was a fun party. I love how you describe Brooke as being 'Sweet x 1000' and she really is that! You would love her.

LadyWentworth, glad you stopped by to comment. Thanks, not every day I do a blog entry. My favorite photo is that last one, too. I wondered if I should have put that at the top? You are the blog pro here on layout. Should I switch it to the top? Thing is it's at the end of the day, but I do love that photo so much. I am glad they choose to put pink on Brooke; really is her color. She always looks so cute in pink; 'pretty in pink', right?

These were taken with my 'trusty' old camera. I don't think it takes such bad photos. My son always says "get rid of that old camera". It's an Olympus, about 6 yrs old. He gave me a Polaroid slimline 3.2 mega pixel (one he had) saying it beat out my 1.3 oldie, but know what? I took photos with it and they were awful; red eye and blurry. I have no idea how to use it, since he tosses all instruction booklets in the trash.

...why of course; don't you think, LW that she looks just like me? haha...not really.....maybe just her eyes, mine are blue, too.

Her other grandma actually has natural curly hair like my daughter-in-law; isn't hers gorgous? Also, she was dark when younger, but dyes now. She would kill me probably, if she knew I wrote this blog and posted her photos. Oh well, this is private for my friends, right?

Anyone notice the light bruise on Brooke's forhead? My son said they went out to dinner, a few days prior to the party, and Brooke was laughing and threw her head down on the table suddenly; he said "oh great, now she will have a bruise for her party". It never fails with kids.

Almost forgot - the chair was bought at Pottery Barn and was monogramed with her name - so cute. I love it and the cover is cotton/washable.
    Updated 05-21-2009 at 11:58 PM by Janine
    She's not going to be spoiled is she?
    Brooke is looking very cute in her pink dress, she is really "The Thinker". I loved this last photo.
    Bien, by me or her other grannies...oh no, never! hahaha

Snowqueen, The last photo is my favorite, too. She is quite 'The Thinker' always. She will looks at you all wide-eyed, like she is trying to figure it all out. I love that look. I know it won't last forever, but it's so much a part of being new to the world and curious about everything.
    Wow she is so adorable! And the dress is so cute! The moment when she kisses the pony's nose is simply gorgeous, you're right saying it makes your heart melt!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROOKE!
    That tuft of hair is soooo cute!

"I found one thing out, when photographing a one year old, they sure are active! Everytime Brooke will do something, which is totally adorable; then I go to push the shutter, she moves. I never seem to catch that moment and this is an older camera. It might not be fast enough."

I know all about that when photographing my cats. One way to get those invaluable shots is to actually videotape and then make stills. The quality won't be as good as a camera but you do capture the moment.
    Hi downing, good friend, thanks for stopping by and your comments. I think she is adorable too. I think sometimes she looks a little like my son looked as a baby but then in profile she looks like her mother. I just could not get that exact moment she kisses the pony's nose but it was so cute; endearing.

Haunted, I know what you mean about the video. In fact my daughter-in-law and my son were taking videos so they could capture the moments. Sometimes also when we are all snapping away someone gets a good shot. Hopefully they did capture her kissing the nose. I was sitting at a bad angle anyway to capture that. I will send them these photos today and I hope they send me some back.
    Rocking Horse!! A girl after my own heart! Definitely a horse woman in the making, Janine She's beautiful, and it looks had you had a lovely day
    Awwwww she's so cute
    Awwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast