View RSS Feed

Poems, general writings, ravings, and other things.

What the hell, John?

Rate this Entry
So some of you might know that "East of Eden" is on my summer list of books. I already finished "The Gambler" (amazing by the way, I cant wait to start "The Brothers Karamazov.") So I picked up ol' Steinbeck. I love John, he is a great writer. But I'm about 100 pages into the book and all I can think is "what the hell?" Don't get me wrong, its an amazing book just like the rest of Steinbeck, but really, what the hell? Girls being graphicly whipped? Girls faking rape? Its just... Different. I mean sure, "Of Mice and Men" had a large man accidentally (spelling?) strangling puppies and girls. But whippings of 16 year olds and things like that. Where did this come from? I know that this book is his own family's history and I can already see the similarities to the book of Genisis. But where did all the graphicness come from? I know little about Steinbecks life so please enlighten me on where it all came from. And by the way, I don't dislike the book at all. Its amazing so far. Just really different than what I was expecting with Steinbeck.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I loved the Gambler too! I just couldn't get into TBK so I went for it instead to break into Dostoyevsky.

East of Eden is on my summer list as well. But I dislike Steinbeck. Thanks for the heads up lol
    I can't enlighten you at all as to Steinbeck's personal history, but I must say that this is one of my favorite books ever. The film as well. James Dean. *wistful sigh*