View RSS Feed

Geekery

bored-- personality test

Rate this Entry
Out of curiosity I did that Jung-Myers-Briggs (MBTI) personality test, which I heard was extremely accurate. Initially I was hesitant to take it because you're wary of it being a little too exact.

My answer: INTJ-- Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging (le Mastermind, aka the Scientist, aka the Free Thinker, aka some other overly flattering title). Rare I guess, something like 1% of the population (though I think that applies to a few different types.) In searching for what exactly this meant, I came across the 'INTJ prayer': "God, let me be open to other people's views, WRONG though they may be." Basically, people of my personality type are generally reserved, systematic, frustrated by illogical behavior and "rampant emotionalism", and at times can come off as arrogant and distant.

The type in its entirety is very close, which is worrisome because I wonder now if I act as dismissive as I feel. I find it hard to care about things I consider irrelevant, and sometimes that falls into the realm of other peoples' problems. My shoulder is not a good one to cry on; if there is anything pragmatic I can do for someone I will certainly do it, but as for soothing words and comfort I am at a loss and feel oddly detached.

And there's this bit, which is funny:
"Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel... This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals... Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense."

If you read my last blog you know the significance of this particular description. I never take offense more than when someone isn't making sense. There's one teacher I have now whose behavior is so nonsensical that I actually feel physically repulsed, even nauseated, not because any offense is really directed at me but because I cannot comprehend his reasoning. It will bother me throughout the week and very, very few things frustrate me but that man is one of them. All I want is for people to make sense!

"INTJs are strong individualists who seek new angles or novel ways of looking at things. They enjoy coming to new understandings. They tend to be insightful and mentally quick; however, this mental quickness may not always be outwardly apparent to others since they keep a great deal to themselves. They are very determined people who trust their vision of the possibilities, regardless of what others think. They may even be considered the most independent of all of the sixteen personality types." Blah blah and so on. The stuff all fits. I think the independent stuff comes from being an only child.

I wouldn't say I'm proud or ashamed of my type, it's just what it is. At the same time though, it's foolish to get too heavily involved in these personality types, else you'll find yourself conditioning your actions to serve the parameters of the type--in effect, molding yourself more closely to it because you feel that's how you're supposed to be. I'm told that employers sometimes like to keep records of their employees' and clients' MBTI assessments in order to better manage them and approach them, respectively. Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll turn it around and create an assessment of the employer so I'll know how to handle them.

Side note: I see I've broken 400 posts! Only took like three years.

Updated 04-05-2009 at 11:47 PM by higley

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I like your point about molding yourself to the personality type! I'd never thought of that before, but it makes tons of sense!
    I'm an INTJ too .
    Rock on
    I may be too...but I'm not sure...until I learn more about it...
    there are a few of us INTJ's kicking around here
    I get a different result every time I do the Myers-Briggs test. Ugh. I guess it all depends on how I feel on any given day. The last result I got was INTP.