View RSS Feed

BienvenuJDC

The Classic Silver Screen

Rate this Entry
I don't know what it is about the Silver Screen, but I love the classic films. When I say classic films...I don't mean anything that has been produced in my lifetime. (I was born in 1972 for those who don't know.) The classics were made back when acting was genuine, special effects was an art of lighting and sound effects, and no one ever noticed the fake looking background because they were focused the PLOT!! Yes, and there was a PLOT. The men were human, the women were real, and you had to jab your gun at someone to make it fire.

If you'd like to talk about your favorite classic films, there is a new group forum called Classic Films (yeah...it's a real original name).
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't think the classical cinema was necessarily better than modern cinema, but some of the better films are from that era. That, and there is a lot more trash out there these days.
    I didn't say better...but there are certain qualities that were focused on more since they didn't know what special effects were. Everything has its own strengths...
    Most of the time when I turn the TV on I go straight to Turner Classic Movies to see what is playing. I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of PLOT being uppermost to the early films. Many of todays films seem needlessly padded with special effects and sight gags. Some favorites--Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Pride and Prejudice, The Quiet Man, Vera Cruz, Citizen Kane, Twele O'Clock High. To name just off the top of my head. By the by I spent 1972 on the island of Guam while in the Air Force.
    A classic film forum? Wow! I adore classic film. Bogart, Bacall, K. Hepburn, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Carole Lombard, Bette Davis, they just can't be beat. Half of my DVD collection is classic film, I think, and I adore playing the classic film version of "Scene It."