View RSS Feed

Geekery

new web site, and other stuff

Rate this Entry
My foot's in the door, I've staked my place, I've planted the flag. My portfolio is now online There's still quite a bit of tweaking to do but the skeleton's there and I'm dressing it up a little at a time.

Current address: nikkismetters.squarespace.com

I'll get rid of the "squarespace" bit soon as I figure out how. I wish I could say that I'm able to kick back now, but it's the total opposite--I still have such a freakish amount to do before my portfolio showing in April. "Spring break" is a joke.

In other news, I'm becoming a blond tomorrow. I should say, I'm going back to being a blond after many years. As a child I had naturally light hair but it's been dyed darker for a long time now. I'll post a picture if it doesn't turn out a wreck. Right now I'm enjoying what I presume to be my last moments with auburn hair for a while.

And because I figure enough useless topics will qualify a useful post: have you guys ever experienced the maddening sensation of waiting for a series to continue? I recently read The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr (he wrote the recent Holmes pastiche, The Italian Secretary) and am incredibly impatient for a third novel. I hear rumors he's working on the next installation, which is encouraging but the rumors are infuriatingly vague. I'm glad I only read the books recently, as they were written in the 90's and I'd hate to have waited much longer than I'm already going to!

Another series that falls into this category is A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin, just about the only fantasy series aside from Harry Potter that I've really enjoyed. He's got a leg up on Carr in that he's at least provided specifics for the novel, but the release date continues to be pushed further back. Last year I heard he'd finish it in April, now it's projected to be in the fall. I just hope he doesn't kill off the rest of the characters I like; he's got a nasty habit of doing that.

K I'm done squawking at ya.

Updated 03-26-2009 at 01:52 AM by higley

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

They are amazing! I love the hands and the fiddler.
    argh!! I read The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness in the 90's!!! Most every time I go in the bookstore I check to see if a new one came out. I read or heard somewhere that he was going to write a book from each persons perspective.

I'm at work so I was only able to take a brief look at the site, it looks great.
    Updated 03-26-2009 at 01:21 PM by papayahed
    Thanks Niamh!

Papaya, it's good to see another fan! I just knew there were some out there. I heard he's working on a third installment now, but that's just a rumor and he hasn't confirmed it in an interview. I also heard that thing about the perspectives, and that it might be Sara's--which would be great. Personally, John's my favorite.
    That is amazing work. I just can't believe it. You are so stinking good! I think you need to be featured on the front page of your home town paper. I can't decide what I like the best. The hands were cool, but the lady with the fruit looks like it should be on the cover of a book.
    Thanks so much MH!
    Oh that Eisenhower is marvelous. So stately. It's so him. Very nice Higs. You are definitely professional level.