View RSS Feed

Joreads

Why are we all so time poor

Rate this Entry
I caught up with some of my girl friends a few weekends ago and the one thing we all had in common was the phrase “I am so busy” It got me wondering why it is that we are all so time poor these days. We have more time saving devices than I am sure my grandmother would ever have dreamed of, dishwashers, microwaves, washing machines and I could go on and yet I would hazard a guess that we are the generation that will be judged as the most time poor in history.

Is that as women we are too quick to say yes or we simply do not know how to say no? Is it that we like to have our plates so full that they are overflowing or are we forced to have them that full? Is this a problem that is only faced by women or are men feeling the pinch as well?

I can only speak for myself and I have to say that I am my own worst enemy at times. I am too quick to say yes and to put my hand up and to slow to say no, that is when I can bring myself to say it at all. So I am instituting some new rules
1. I will not accept an invitation on the spot i will think about it first.
2. I will consult my dairy more.
3. I will schedule some me time
4. I will learn to say no.

Of course all of this will have to wait until I have time to fit it in.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Ah the modern woman. Sold on the goods that an active busy life brings contentment. I believe this all started in the early 1960s as a revolt on the concept of women being only made for a life in the kitchen (see any episode of The Donna Reed Show or Father Knows Best). But like any good idea got expanded well beyond its original intent. It's a matter of sorting out the priorities versus the time wasters abd it varies from person to person. Hope this helps.
    I like to be busy, but in a good way- gardening, working, walking, socializing, etc. Then the time for myself doesn't seem so... lazy. Of course, being busy is only good if you're doing things you enjoy.

Good action plan!
    And not just women. It's easy for men to fill up their time schedule too. Some people suck away their days by feeling obliged to watch a whole number of TV shows every week, losing time to do other things.
    Tell me about it. I am way overloaded too. This is just the nature of modern life. We multi task and interconnect in so many ways. There are up sides though. While it is hectic, we are living life to the fullest if you ask me. Though a nice quiet peaceful day. My wife just asked me moments ago how I am coping with 4 and a half hours of sleep a night. I have no idea, though I do sleep in the car pool on days I don't drive. Oh I consider my one hour three times a week with no phone at the gym my "me" time.

Now I'm known for typos and misspellings. But you have a hum dinger there:
    2. I will consult my dairy more.
    You're going to consult cows more? What advice do you expect to get, except "moo".

I think you mean diary.
    See Virgil to busy to spell check