View RSS Feed

Geekery

Advice please!

Rate this Entry
I will shortly be putting up a website to house my portfolio. In addition to illustrating, I dabble a little in writing. If I have something that's been well received, should I put it up too? Or is it kind of silly to host a story on your website? My eventual career goal is to write and illustrate children's books, so I wondering if including writing as well as art wouldn't be beneficial.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well, it depends. If the website is eesentially a blog for the wolrd to get to know Higley, then no it's not silly. If the web site is a place to feature your art from which you may hope to sell or have professional aspirations, then perhaps it will clutter the site, confuse the visitor, and therefore not be beneficial. It depends on the purpose.
    Hmm, it's kind of both--the site does contain a blog, but it will also serve to feature art. The site is quite simple thus far; there's only a home page, a single gallery, a blog space and a biography section. I do hope to make writing a part of my career, but am not sure how to do it. Sending manuscripts is tricky because you aren't assured they'll be read, but as many publishing companies do request website addresses while considering illustrators, it's possible that, in a moment of mindless exploration, they may come across the writing. I don't know. Thanks for your help
    Well, then it doesn't sound like a professional home page yet. Then make it what you want and indulge in your hobbies.
    I'm confused, writing & illustrating children's books as a career?? BFA, MFA is as good as it gets, no? In the world of writing children's books, you have to go it alone, Higs, unless your name is Madonna. Oh you know how it works: Pound the pavement, put your nose to the grindstone, wear that button that says, 'Will Write Your Obit For Food...Yeah I'm Talking To You!' that sort of thing.
    Updated 03-18-2009 at 12:38 AM by jon1jt
    I've resigned myself to that reality.
    Yeah, me too. (it's not good admitting this sort of thing, ya know, they're all going to laugh at you, and at me too. (I think that line's from Stephen King's Carrie, don't mind me) ) O the torment.
    Updated 03-18-2009 at 01:57 AM by jon1jt