View RSS Feed

Insights from a person of questionable sanity

Confessions of a _____________

Rate this Entry
Not sure how to fill in the blank. Confessions of a 'cynic'? A 'nobody'? Or a 'shopaholic' - seeing as that's what I'll be talking about. So if you're strapped for time and don't particularly want to waste five minutes of your life reading about the new movie 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' then look away. NOW. Don't say I didn't warn you...

otherwise, buckle up.

Let's start with motive. Why would anyone waste about an hour and half of their life watching this trash? This leads to a few confessions of my own.

First, I'm a secret movie-junkie.

I watch more or less anything [good]. Film Noir and thrillers are my favourite but if there's a handsome guy about I'll watch it.

Second, I'm a secret chick-flick movie junkie.

I know!

And third - well, surely this saint-like man does not need an introduction? You might have seen him in adaptations of Dickens/period novels, often as the eponymous hero (David Copperfield/Daniel Deronda) or more recently in 'The Jane Austen book club'. A graduate in English Language and Literature from Oxford - come on, you're already half in love with him now aren't you? - blessed with gorgeous curls and blue eyes and - alas - engaged to our 'Juliet' (Claire Danes)

Who is this man who has sent Opti in a speechless paroxysm of passion?

Why it's Hugh (Who?) Dancy!

Isn't he just adorable?

I will watch anything with Hugh Dancy in it - no matter how 'bad' it is. Although...I'm sorry Hugh, but you do spend an awful amount of time playing a two dimensional character with no or little ...ooomph.

Now that's true love isn't it? Seeing the imperfections but still loving them?

Rebecca Bloomwood, played by the tiny Isla (i-la) Fisher, is a designer label shopaholic with spiraling out of control debt. Chased by the debt-collector, Derek Smeath, who is waved off with awful excuses, she manages to land a job as a journalist at a savings magazine. Irony? Woah - stop right there, like a movie such as this would be familiar with the term 'irony'.

She becomes intimately involved with her boss Hugh Dancy but the course of true love never did run smooth. Derek Smeath catches up with her on national tv, Hugh Dancy feels betrayed and jogs off in a humph, credits cards declined - 'really declined' and her best friend gives her the two fingers.

But, being an awful chick-flick, everything works out after a hard to believe auction, a wedding and lots and lots and lots of pennies for Derek Smeath.

There is also what I felt to be a little bit of propaganda here disguised as a chick-flick. Rebecca Bloomwood tackles her shopaholicism (mouthful) and debt - there is hope for all; at one point her father tells her: 'Your mother and I think that if the American economy can be billions in debt and still survive, so can you'. Yeah, but she's armed with Prada and Gucci. What does the American economy have?

'When I shop, the world gets better' remarks Rebecca Bloomwood. Honey, you should have learnt to read. . .

Updated 03-09-2009 at 01:35 PM by optimisticnad

Categories
Film

Comments

Isn't he just adorable?
    Adorable? He looks like a boy all dressed up by his mommy but who has forgotten to comb his hair and shave.

Actually your title made me think of "Confessions of an English Opium-Eater"
    by Thomas de Quincey, a famous and often read Romantic era essay. I had to read it in undergrad lit. Can't remember it though. Wikipedia has an entry on it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confess...sh_Opium-Eater