View RSS Feed

Joreads

My week

Rate this Entry
So I really didn’t have enough on my plate what with working, university, book club and my volunteering so of course when I was asked if I wanted to start a movie club my answer was yes why not. Well we into our second month and I am loving it. We meet on the second Friday of the month at someone’s house we watch a movie and then discuss it. Oh of course there is great food and wine as well.
What movies do we watch – well this will not surprise some of you reading this blog but our subject for at least the next two years is the evolution of Vampire mythology. Our first movie was Nosferatu a 1922 silent movie based on the novel Dracula. Our second movie will be Dracula 2000. The point is to look at the change that has occurred throughout history to the way we view the vampire. So for those of you that thought I was a little weird now you know, and a quick look at the calendar for this month’s movie night will seal the deal.

I started back at university last week where I have nosed dived right into third year subjects. One of the subjects that I am doing is financial accounting III oh and it is as exciting as it sounds. The core aspect of this subject is ethic’s you can imagine my surprise when I was going over the one and half page reading list and I saw Oliver Twist listed. Yes I did a double take as well. There is a new stream of thought in accounting that says that the best way to teach students how to be ethical is to expose them to literature. That by expanding the imagination we open up our minds more to the possible outcomes of all of the decisions that we make. I will not bore you further with the reasoning behind this but who knew that the two loves of my life would meet one day and form an everlasting bond. So the next time you are looking for a new accountant you might want to ask what books he has been reading before signing on the dotted line.

Twice a year I volunteer at the Life Line book fair that is held in my area. Second hand books are sold cheaply and all the funds go back into the charity to help people in need. My job is to stack the books and keep the tables full as the day rolls along. So if you need me on Saturday or Sunday you now know where I will be.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well, you certainly lead a full life Jo. Everyone of your activities seem wonderful. A ovie club? That's an interesting idea. Now I got this picture of you and your friends in this little mini theatre in your basement. Just like a movie star's home. I think there's a thread out there on discussing movies. Janine is very knowledgable.
    I always thought Nosferatu was very creepy. Saw it back in the 70s in North Dakota of all places on late night tv. Mrs. Stoker attempted to get all copies destroyed as part of the settlement for unauthorized use of Bram's book but thankfully she did not succeed. Just a twinge of guilt over seeing a outlawed classic.
    Oh, here's an idea- Book AND a movie club . We do that here with my friends, pick a book that's been made into a movie, we all read the book, then gather to watch the film and discuss how it relates to the books, the changes between the two, etc.
    Thanks Virgil I like to keep busy but I have been feeling the pinch of late.

mtpspur you are right it was really creepy. You are absolutely right about Mrs Stroker there is an introduction at the start of the movie telling the watcher all about it.

BeccaT we are onto it. We often go to the movies after we have read a book. We will be going to see The Reader this weekend. It is a great idea