View RSS Feed

Away with the Fairies- The Travel Diary of an Irish WebFairy

My travel Plans

Rate this Entry
Many things have happened in my life this last year. I have been single since june and that has made me free to do things i couldnt for a long time.

My trip to Australia brought back that ache for travel i had so long ago but lost when like many other things it was chained up and locked away by the mental shackles that were create by a caging, manipulative, opressive relationship. Now i'm more or less shackle free.

My job isnt secure, and the company i work for may not survive another six months. Not to mention there is so much crap going on in there at the moment that my head is wrecked and i'm sick of the *****iness and drama. With the terrible resession in my country at the moment (like almost everywhere else) if i loose my job, there is a scrapping of a chance i could get another one. Especially seeing as there would be approximately another 330,000 people battling for the same job.

Since the beginning of January i've been saving very hard. I've managed to save €1,100 and i hope to have a little over 7,000 saved by the end of the year (depending on whether or not the company i work for survives!) and by the end of March next year, i hope to throw the towel in at my job, pack a bag and hit the world. I want to do it now before i end up regretting it in the future.

Not quite sure where i'm going. I want to maybe spend a year or two in Australia, but i also want to see so many other places.
Canada is on my list. I have family there and its always been somewhere i wanted to see since i was a kid. I'd have to go to Toronto, no doubts there, but the main part i want to see is vancouver.

Then theres certain places in America. New York, Milwaukee, New Orleans, maybe LA. These are places i want to see so i can meet some good friends i have on litnet. Of course, if any of my good friends on litnet live near Toronto or Vancouver, i'd love to meet them too.
I'm thinking of maybe going to these places first, before hitting Australia... But then if i do, i'd have to pop down to Mexico (where i'll more than likely melt to death from the heat) and see a very old friend from school.

Of course i'd also have to stop off in New Zealand and visit my oldest friend in the world.(we have been friends since we are four!)

Then on to Australia, to live, to work and maybe meet some more litnetters!

Not sure what i'll do after there. Maybe i'll pop into India (and melt there) and then see parts of Europe i've never seen, Greece (melt there too), Croatia, Slovakia, Czech, Austria, Switzerland, germany, Denmark, Holland etc and head home.

Perhaps i wont go home at all. Maybe i'll move to scotland (Edinburgh would be nice! ), or only get as far as Canada (and live in vancouver as my dream the other night said i would... but then i did end up as an immortal at the end of that...need to watch highlander) or maybe i'll end up staying in Australia, living in Newtown, drinking tea and reading books. who knows!!

All i know right now is that i need a change. I need a chance to escape, even if its only for a short while.

And maybe i can write a book about my experience. (Danny Wallace style!)

Maybe i wont even get to travel. Who knows!

All i know is that right now, more than anything
else in the world, I need this!

PS. Only my friends can read my blog now.

Updated 03-02-2009 at 03:53 PM by Niamh

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You go girl! I would love to have the option to do what you're doing! But alas no. Go now whilst you're still young, fit and healthy. How are you going to fund your travels? Or expenses once you're actually there? Bar maid during day, geisha girl during night? ('',) I like it!
    Well i have other savings, but i do plan to get a job. Might give bar work a go. Something different. Or just find a job in a bookshop in Sydney.
    Niamh, that's amazing. Good for you - go for it! In March next year hopefully I'll be in college in Virginia - so if you're anywhere near there, let me know, okay? I'd love to get in touch with you. I wish I knew for sure where I was, but anyways, let me know if you're ever in CA or VA. Traveling - that's incredible and brave and exciting. Cheers to you!
    You sound like Stephan Daedalus at the end of Joyce's Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.

Oh I would love to show you around my part of the world. If you can give me a heads up I'll plan on taking a few days off from work and having a ball. Yeah, the economy stinks everywhere. Normally when the the US is in recession, Europe is not, and then vice versa, and the far east the far east kind of interweaves through both. With all the international trade that goes on, that actually softens the blows of the region that's in recession. Unfortunately the timing is such now that the whole world is in recession together. It's going to be a hard couple of years I'm afraid.

When i was young - you're age Niamh - I would have loved to travel extensively myself. I did some, most in the US, but I'm not all that motivated any more. Not sure why. It seems that the more I go to far away places, the more I find they are just like home. By the way, my mother-in-law in retirment is living the life of travel. She goes on three or four major trips a year and can't seem to get enough. She just came back from a Israel/Jordon/Egypt trip. She's got the travel bug.
    A hard couple of years yes. thats why i'm clearing my credit card and saving so much, just in case i do loose my job in a few months. At least then i wont be in debt as many are. If my job ends up secure, then i hopefully will do my big global trip.
    And of course you will be showing me around NY! remember my previous blog!
    Oh and I forgot to wish you best of luck. Let's hope for the best.
    Edinburgh??? - come on the only good thing about edinburgh is the M8 (road to glasgow)
    Oh please! Edinburgh is so beautiful! Glasgow doesnt have a big castle on top of a crag surrounded by old buildings with lots of ghosts now does it! ( you will have to clarify that seeing as i was only in glasgow for a few hours when i was 13.)
    Nope no castle - but there is free MMA events all over the city at chucking out time
    I thought Edinburgh was beautiful too. I didn't really see much of Glasgow, except by the central train station. It looked like it was in a down town area. It was in December and it was decorated for Christmas. Looked nice.
    Niamh you go for it. Australia gets my vote but there is a selfish reason behind that I would love to meet you. You are braver then me.
    I would love to show you around here; yeah you will surely melt if you visit during the summer time. Its too hot even for me

About losing the job, all I can say is, if at all that happens, you will be even more free to pursue your dreams. Go for it! You plans seems sound to me
    You have a wonderful plan idea, Niamh. I totally hope that your place of business survives these hard times... I'll be thinking of you.
    Oh, fellow friend of the Wandering-Feet...
    Lets hope i dont crack in work and leave! But i really really want to do this, and if i get to meet all of you wonderful people along the way then lucky me!
    I hope all works out for you and you get to do all this travelling. Sounds like an adventure of a lifetime!!
    Just don't forget that I live on the west coast . The west really isn't as interesting as the east though. I don't think I'll live here much longer after school... I have some travelling plans of my own . Nothing as exciting as yours though! Sounds like it'll be wonderful though I hope it all works out!
    hey what about coming to visit me ? *sulk*
    ALthough perhaps you should save the money really.
    But yes long term travel plans are always good, and if you move to Australia Im coming to visit!!!
    Okay so how about i pop over to you, and possible my other friends in the UK before i leave?
    damn right you are!
    Just thought Id warn you..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast